1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Headlight Troubles (Alignment and Retaining Clip)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SteveS, Jul 19, 2007.

1. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So, one of my HID bulbs burnt out and I purchased a pair of D4R replacement bulbs on EBay.

After wrestling with the cover on the back of the headlight assembly (and crushing my hand to get between the relay box and the headlight -- I want to slap whoever made that design decision), and removing the bulbs, the bulb retaining clip on the passenger headlight came out. I didn't pull it out... it just fell out as I let it down off the clips. I managed to wrestle it back in, but I'm not 100% sure it's in securely. Anyone have any advice/thoughts?

The second -- and more important issue -- is that since I changed the lights, the same lamp (passenger side) seems unacceptably low. It's pretty much shining on the ground and definitely cuts off much closer to the vehicle than the driver's side. I complained before that the cut off was significantly lower than other HID-equipped vehicles I've driven, but now it's just out of control. Any thoughts or advice?

PS - Anyone who drives around with their lights on all the time to have fake DRLs... I'd stop doing it. These bulbs burnt out around 37k.

TIA,
    Steve

2. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SteveS @ Jul 19 2007, 11:59 PM) [snapback]482010[/snapback]</div>
    C'mon... one of the Toyota Techs on the board has to have some clue. You can even PM it to me. Don't worry, I won't sue you. I just want my headlight releveled.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    give me a dang minute! :lol: you caught us at a bad time. DH and i are preparing for a long trip and the past week we've been putting an engine and trans in our other car. so if not today, soon.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) galaxee and her fellow have been one of the greatest, most reliable and accurate source of information on PriusChat... THANKS galaxee.

5. prius62

prius62 Junior Member

For what it is worth, I had my bulbs replaced by an experienced shop and one of the lights ended up pointing too low. I messed aroundwith the adjustement but it didn't seem right. The shop offered to swith them from one side to the other to see if it was the bulb or something else. Bottom line was that one of the bulbs wasn't "seated" correctly. I didn't do the work so I can't comment more specifically.

6. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 20 2007, 12:06 PM) [snapback]482243[/snapback]</div>
    12 hours not enuf? :p

I was confident I'd at least get a "shut up" reply if I prodded the techs :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius62 @ Jul 20 2007, 04:35 PM) [snapback]482421[/snapback]</div>
    Bingo!

The sockets have two protrusions at the top that seat into two indentations on the bulb to make sure it's oriented correctly. Unfortunately, there's no protrusion into the socket that ensures it's seated properly.

I mucked around with it for a while and got it to seat right... unfortunately now I think I bent the retaining clip a bit. Hopefully it will stay.

Thanks, y'all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Jul 20 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]482268[/snapback]</div>
    Definitely true.

7. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [

That should have been covered by your original new car warranty, if you are still within the mileage range.

But anyway, the headlight is meant to be removed, for HID bulb installation. You didn't get the bulb properly seated, and that why the beam pattern is too low. Just get the bulb seated properly. Don't make the mistake of trying a mechanical adjustment. Then it will be all messed up. .

8. Malarkey

Malarkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jul 22 2007, 01:09 AM) [snapback]483066[/snapback]</div>
    When I picked up my Prius last week I specifically asked about the HID's being covered and they said that the bulbs were not covered but the rest of the system is, even if it's a cascade failure. From reading the forum, some people have been able to get dealers to cover it but I imagine it took some effort.

9. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jul 22 2007, 01:09 AM) [snapback]483066[/snapback]</div>
    Really? Hm...

I decided to just replace it myself after reading about people on here having to jump through all kinds of nonsense replacing ECUs or whatnot over a burnt out xenon bulb before they just got the bulb replaced... I figured i'd spend the $100 and just do it myself... if the problem didn't resolve itself, then i'd go waste my life sitting in the service department :p

Anyway, where are all screws? I could only find one screw to remove the headlight assembly... i just assumed the others were under the bumper or something. I was actually surprised there were mechanical adjustment screws for the HID lights...

The bulbs or assembly really need a nipple or something on the bottom of the bulb or a protrusion around the bulb to make sure it's seated correctly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Malarkey @ Jul 24 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]484213[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah... I travel for work and I'm on the road now, so I don't have time to screw around with the dealer's typical "we'll just replace this part and see if it works now" nonsense.