1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by popoff, Apr 6, 2005.

1. popoff

popoff New Member

It's my understanding that "HID" means "high intensity discharge."

My question, with a $10 bet riding on the answer, is are all HID headlamps, particularly those on the 2005 Prius, xenon based or halogen based? I'm under the impression that all HID headlamps are xenon based. Can a HID headlamp be halogen based?

What do you say?

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They are all Xenon Bases. Halogen isn't capable of doing what Xenon can. simply put. We had this discussion about 5 or so months ago with people thinking Halogen can be HIDs.

If someone can prove me wrong on this.. feel free. hard to prove unless you have true data. Dumb companies sale "xenon" bulbs all the time.. with a Xenon look.. but they are halogens.. they do not require a ballast. You can put Xenon gas into a halogen bulb. It would be expensive and pointless though.

From my understanding, Xenon doesn't have a filliment. It's charged with 27,000 volts.. or maybe 24,000 one of those.. and it glows. Much like neon.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually it's 17,000 to 20,000 volts to start the reaction (strike the lamp), then only about 80 volts to keep the bulb lit.

According to http://members.misty.com/don/d2.html, the xenon is actually only used for warm-up light until the mercury and halide salts have a chance to vaporize. Mercury alone produces a light too "cool" in color, so sodium and other salts are added to add warmth to the light.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    cool. :) thanks for the info Rick :)

I wos confusing the 20k volts with someone commenting that they didn't want to Flash people with their lights off. they were worried flashing burst of 20k might do harm.

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe I once made a comment similar or recall the same comment. Supposedly each time the lamp is lit, the electrodes get quite hot for a bit - I imagine doing this repeatedly may shorten bulb life a bit. I avoid flashing mine if they're off if I can.

6. johns

johns New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ok so we have a headlight issue,one light on ,then none, then both on,so we buy new lights , install them and it still happens,ballast or module??? she is really getting upset over this and i will not take to dealer

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    did you want to start a new thread, johns?