1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID kit - use relays?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by HaroldC, Mar 8, 2010.

1. HaroldC

HaroldC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi everyone - going to be picking up our Winter Grey pkg II this Friday and looking forward to it! I always have the mod bug with every car I've owned and I am definitely getting an HID kit first!

Question for you guys that have done the kit: I've looked through a bunch of threads and haven't seen any info about using a relay harness. On the HID kits that I've out in before, I've always used a relay.

If you use one on the Prius, where do you run the positive lead to on the relay? I've read about some bringing the positive to the fuse box, but where have others put it?

Anyone have any close up pics of their installs?

Thanks!

2. putty

putty Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the fuse box is perfect for this, I got my set at dmmtuning but their relay harness was a little short for the spot I put the ballast, search around there are pictures of good installs here

3. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I purchased mine from hidextra.com for $60. I did get the relay harness and installed it with the kit. All plug & play. Yes connect the + to the fuse box, there is a thread that has pictures.

4. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you guys notice a huge difference between the stock non hid vs the 4300K HID lights. The reason I am asking si that the Prius seems to have very good light, probably perhaps because the lens are still new. Is it worth it to spend the $80? I say 4300K because anything higher usually results in blueish tints

5. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a huge difference in lumens. I think I need to use relays. Mine are running off the plugs, and there is noticeable flicker and intermittently shut offs.

6. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No flicker when you use the relay harness.

7. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are no comparison. Stock halogen is okay but the HID conversion for the headlight is day and night different. You can't go back to halogen after the HID conversion. I am sure other people will agree with me.

I am using plug and play, no relay, for my headlight and I am using relay for my fog. I see absolutely no different for both. No flicker either ways.

ajc and I using the same kit. I think ajc is using the regular ballast and I use the HIDextra's slim version kit, slimmer/smaller ballast.

8. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, I had some bad ballasts. I actually suspect that my installer (yeah I was lazy) hooked them up with reverse polarity before hooking them up right and it messed with the ballast somehow. Luckily I had another one from a kit for my mom's prius fog lights and they worked fine. Anyways, the person I bought them off of is being extremely reasonable on replacements.

9. hptsang

hptsang Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I tried to install my HID kit a couple months ago and it only flicked on for a sec and it turned off. People told me that the polar at the kit were wrong and for my kit I can't just flip it, so I bought a relays kit from ebay. I am going to put it on with the relay this weekend, and wait for my good news.

10. kriz

kriz New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Try to check out this site that I can recommend, I think this would answer all your questions. They got the best of everything about HID kits. And installing your new HID kit would not be a problem, they have HID installation guide and video. You can check out everything here http://www.blindinghid.com/toyota-hid-kits/ . You can find info about relay harnesses on this site, try to check it out. I hope this would help. :)

11. dellrio

dellrio Im pretty much awesome

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I bought a $250 kit with the relays and harness on my XB the whole kit went bad in 6 months, ballasts bulbs, relays everything... I replaced it with a $35 plug and play kit from ebay and the $35 kit lasted until i sold the box - 3 years. The $250 kit was not installed improperly or anything - I have been modifying cars and electronics for over 10 years. I only bought it afer reading that without relays you can melt factory wiring. I hear this a lot but have never met anyone who has had this happen. From now on I will only use the Cheap kits, if they need replaced no big deal. And yes HID is a HUGE improvement in light output and light quality, especially in the periphiary.