1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Kits & Lifetime Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by PRIUS007, Feb 7, 2010.

1. PRIUS007

PRIUS007 James Bond -007

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello all-

Just wanted to share some info on some HID kits I just bought. I'm going to put them into my Fogs on both my Prius and my '08 Solara.

www.sharphid.com

I bought the 4300k 35W bulbs for both. They were $75 complete, including free shipping and a lifetime warranty!

I have had several of these kits in the past, and these are a great quality kit and with a lifetime warranty, you cant go wrong.

I talked briefly with the owner, and if you mention '007' when placing your order, you'll receive priority shipping and handling.

I was going to get the PIAA lights, but they were $10 more, don't come with a lifetime warranty and from everything I've read, don't last much longer than a year.

The HID lights are rated at approx. 3000 hours, but with a lifetime warranty, it doesn't really matter how long they last.

I'm also checking with the owner to see if he can get us a deal on the Factory HID headlight replacement bulbs, along with the same lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps some that have been looking for these or might have been on the fence about getting them.

2. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    cool! love my HID kit I installed.

make sure you get the bi-xenon bulbs that allows you to keep the hi beam function.

3. nomis_nehc

nomis_nehc New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I ordered a set for a gf from ddmtuning. I got the slim ballast with hi+low for about $70 shipped with lifetime warranty as well.

4. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

How hard was the install?

5. PRIUS007

PRIUS007 James Bond -007

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just did the Fog Lights, which were pretty easy, as I have HID's from the factory in the headlights.

6. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    its not bad, but I've done 3 other cars so I have a little experience installing them.....

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Please dont put HIDs into reflector housings... It is like driving with your brights on but 3 times worse.

Do a true retrofit.

8. RudeBoiM3

RudeBoiM3 Do it once, Do it Right!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    i just bought 9006 6000k xentec hid conversion kit from ebay for $40... waiting for the weekend to get it installed. i'll try to post something up if it all goes well...

9. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just finished my bulb replacement this afternoon with a kit directly from DDM Tuning. 35W H4 Hi-Lo Apexcone Raptor V2. Took me about an hour, turned out great. I put the ballasts in the spaces between the headlight assemblies and the radiator, zip-tied to horizontal member that runs across the car.

The headlight aim was unchanged from halogen -- the hotspots and spreads were the same. The Prius's headlight reflectors direct the light via the back reflectors, and not via refraction on a front lens, and that makes a big difference.

10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes the hotspots and spreads are the same, the reflector did not change at all (unless you really bent them! lol). Problem is they are meant for the amount of lumens a halogen bulb outputs. You put in a HID bulb, and you are outputting more lumens. Good part is more lumens on the road. Bad part is more lumens in the high reflections. In the US, your lights have to illuminate road signs, so by design they reflect a bit of light up. Enough to reflect the sign, not enough to blind people. By increasing this amount 3-4 times, you are sending way too much light upwards and blinding oncoming drivers as well as people you are driving behind. Also during fog/heavy rain/snow too much light will be above the horizon and make it much more dangerous. There is a reason pnp (plug-n-play) kits are illegal in the US. And FYI, a retrofit is taking projectors from a donor car, and retrofitting them into your headlights. Taking a kit and installing it, is installing a pnp kit, nothing else.

I did a retrofit onto my Honda Civic using Lexus RX350 Projectors, Acura TSX lenses, Denso ballasts and phillips bulbs. That is a retrofit, and the result was super clean white output with a razor sharp blue cutoff.

11. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Agreed. Just throwing in HIDs into the stock housing is going to blind oncoming traffic.

12. RudeBoiM3

RudeBoiM3 Do it once, Do it Right!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    so wait, just to clarify, i have a 2007 prius with package # 6, so it came with fog lights on the bumper... i should be okay to do a fog light hid conversion kit on those right? i hope the fog light on-off switch still works with the hids... any one done this before?