1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID lamp replacement a success, 20 minutes.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chappie, May 14, 2010.

1. chappie

chappie New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you to all the previous posters that were kind enough to post the instructions.

I ordered two 6000K replacement lamps from High Performance Bulbs. Fred was very helpful in assisting me in finding the correct replacement for the 2007 touring edition. D4RHID lamps, two lamps, 54.95 plus postage.

I removed the fuse box cover on the driver side, turned the cover to the lamp about 1/8 turn and pushed it back out of the way, twisted the plug on the lamp(up 1/8 turn) and removed it. The wire clips were unclipped after a few seconds of trial and error. Wires push away from the base, to the outside. My first few attempts, I tried to push them to the center. Removed the lamp, reversed the process for reinstallation.

FOr the passenger side, I removed the phillips connector holding down the plastic dam on the far left. Lifted that to remove the push down connector holding the air intake in place. Lifted out the air intake. Removed the two connectors from the window washer fluid tank. Turned the lamp cover about 1/8 turn to release it, pushed it back out of the way. Pushed the lamp connector DOWN 1/8 turn. Pushed the retaining wires to the outside to release the lamp. Removed the lamp, install was the reverse.

I did not have to remove the front bumper cover, the windshieldwasher reservoir, or any other part, other than the air intake and the fuse box cover.

Took it for a test run tonight. The 6000K lamps project a very white light. The passenger side appears to need adjusting as there is a bright spot just in front of the bumper.The driver side lamp projects quite a ways down the road. I will do a few adjustments in the morning.

This went much better than expected and only took about 20 minutes. THe local Toyota dealership wanted $94 per lamp to do the install. And they would give us a break on the lamps, and only charge us $150 per lamp. Shame, shame, shame....

2 people like this.