1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID lamps in #2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GreenMS, Aug 22, 2008.

1. GreenMS

GreenMS New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi All

I'm kind of new here ... have a quick question. My dealer offered to fit HID lamps in my new package 2 Prius. I was after a package 6 but there wasn't one available. I know that there are other differences - but was wondering if it's worth getting at no extra cost and will it really make a difference?

Thanks!

2. Porsche998

Porsche998 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A couple of items - the regular Toyota HIDs have a self leveling system - Will the dealer install that protion of the system? If installing the full stock system - it would normally cost quite a bit and I am surprised that the dealer would offer to install at no cost in the present market for the car.

3. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Chances are your dealer was going to just install "HID" bulbs and not a real xenon HID conversion or factory HID parts. Get a list of what will be changed out AND how it will both affect the Toyota factory warranty and how it wll be covered by the warranty before you agree to something like this.

4. GreenMS

GreenMS New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks - that's good advice. I'll give him a call tomorrow. Out of interest he said that it was at a cost of about $800 - does that sound about right?

5. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not even close. A real xenon conversion kit costs about $500 just for the parts and it is not a "plug and play" install. There would need to be significant changes made to the halogen headlights for it to work properly. As for it being genuine Toyota parts, lets put it this way: Just the HID headlight housings without the bulbs, ballasts, wiring, or auto leveling system are around $300 each. Do NOT let them tell you that it's a drop in kit that fits the halogen housings. There is no such thing. Yes, there are HID bulbs that may physically fit in the housing but they don't have the proper lights cutoffs and the halogen reflector is not setup for the HID bulb. You will just end up blinding oncoming traffic and at worst case actually put out less usable light.

6. GreenMS

GreenMS New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for that chief. I'm on the case and won't accept this. Sincere thanks for sharing your knowledge.

7. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If you will have the full factory setup, yes definitely. I have the HID and they're nice. If you will have some sort of partly-almost-sort of-HID setup then no. To do the job properly they will need to change the headlight housings, add some electronics, add an auto-leveler for the beam.

8. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    obligatory touring post
    -------------------------

if you really want HID lights in a Package #2. then why not spend the 800 or so
    extra on a Prius Touring Edition Package #2

inquire what available packages the touring comes in

9. GreenMS

GreenMS New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the notes ...

I'm on the East Coast and the dealer told me that the touring isn't available here. Of course he also spun a load of bull crap about a lot of other things. Anyhow - I quizzed him about the lights and you guys were correct. He was just fitting the lamps and not changing the housing or anything else.

Have a package 5 coming now ... going to get leather added which he told me will make it a package 6 (I know now that isn't true) - I'm not happy about the process of buying this car at all - but it seems I cannot cancel the contract so I'll have a car I love from a place I hate. Oh well - it's a learning experience I guess.

10. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    the leather probably won't have the leather wrapped steering wheel which the official package 6 has. i would just refuse to buy anything the dealer tries to add on and tell him you want to shop around, and you tell him i can get a better deal somewhere else..

if you want to have the dealer add anything you can always go for the glass breakage sensor, but don't pay more then $165 for it, or floor mats, things like that.

sometimes you have to push those dealers around and negotiate hard

as long as its not a lease, you can cancel the contract anytime, like going across the street and trading the car in at another dealer, tell him that and maybe he will back off all his dealer installed crap

i think and i am not 100 % sure about this, but if you go to toyota.com's build your prius page and enter your zip code and click
    on which one you want, it will tell you what options certain cars are coming in as.

like when i go there and tell it my zip code and tell it i want a touring, the only option available in my zip code is the $4k navigation + leather package, if i omit my zip code from build a prius page, then all the options are selectable

11. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Until you actually take position of the car you can cancel the order anytime and the dealer is required to refund your deposit. If that dealer told you otherwise it's time to call Toyota and/or your states consumer affairs office and complain. Also, if you do take the package 5 with the leather make sure to get it in writing that it has been upgraded to a package 6 (not just that it has leather) so when it comes in without a leather steering wheel to will be forced to add that in.

12. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    when i go to toyota.com's build a prius page, and tell it i am in connecticut, 06512, it says on tourings i can either get option 3 (jbl + bluetooth) or option 6 (nav+leather) so i believe it can be ordered.

13. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm on the East Coast and the dealer told me that the touring isn't available here.

What's the next nearest dealer say?

- I quizzed him about the lights and you guys were correct. He was just fitting the lamps and not changing the housing or anything else.

Do not let him do this. You will actually have worse lighting than if he had left it alone.

it seems I cannot cancel the contract

Er, why not? I started with my local dealer and found their behavior objectionable. I actually went out of state rather than buy from my local dealer. Why are you obligated to give *him* your money?

14. GreenMS

GreenMS New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is really interesting - firstly thanks for your replies everyone.

I called Toyota customer services and they said that once a vehicle is under contract that it's up to the dealer's discretion to cancel. Are Toyota wrong? I called twice and spoke to two different people and got the same message.

I have not put down a deposit but have signed the paperwork / raised finance with them. The dealer said that they do not want to cancel.