1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Lightbulbs giving my trouble, just replaced...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RareWare, Jun 16, 2010.

1. RareWare

RareWare Junior Member

Hello,

I'm having problems with my '07 Prius touring. The light bulbs keep going out on me. I have 71,000 on the car and I've been through 3 sets on the drives side and two on the passenger. The last time I replaced with bulbs from eBay. The Phillips Germany bulbs. They worked great fro about 7,000 miles and then the problems started happening again. The dealership wants $300 a bulb plus $380 labor to replace and when I replaced last time I noticed that they had broken one of the fins on the driver side piece that keeps the light protected from the back.
    Should I get new bulbs? Is it the ballast? Should I call Toyota customer service and beg? Please help!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Normally the problem is the bulbs, or compatibility between the bulbs and ballasts. The Gen II HIDs are particularly touchy about this. Several threads on this site list bulbs that have worked well for others having the same problem.

Tom

3. RareWare

RareWare Junior Member

hmmm. So if I go with the Toyota OEM replacements, part number 90981-20029 I should be ok?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two