1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Replacement bulbs....what to get?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pr4424, Jun 3, 2010.

1. pr4424

pr4424 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

My passenger side HID light is out (most of the time) so I'd like to purchase a new bulb(s). What is the best bulb to get for a good price...and where? I see them on Ebay for around $30 for a Philips Econ....something.....anybody use them?

Patrick

2. Susanne101

Susanne101 New Member

Hi. I received a letter from Toyota that they will help with the replacement HID lights and their ECU's. So you may want to check with Toyota about this. It pertains to models 2006 through 2009 Model Year Prius. Hope this helps.

3. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, they reduced the price of the bulbs from $300 to $150. They would refund the $150 difference between old price and new price and refund cost of ECU if an authorized dealer had replaced it. My understanding is that Toyota did this as a result of a class action suit.

HOWEVER, THE $30 Phillips Econ bulbs Patrick asked about are EXACTLY the same as the OEM bulbs Toyota uses. I replaced mine myself a month or so ago with eBay purchased blubs and the OEM ones were exactly the same (except for different date code) as the eBay ones.

More info (including "do-it-yourself" instructions here.