1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Retrofit into 2005 Halogens

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by SteamPowered, Mar 6, 2012.

1. SteamPowered

SteamPowered Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I'm doing to do a retrofit with parts from RTS, with a projector of course, and I've got a question about getting a 12V source that powers the kit. I've examined F8L directions intently, but he has HID ballasts wired already, and there are no wiring information there.

I've found one good writeup about wiring ballasts:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3963817/2008-toyota-prius-touring-hatchback-4d/page-8

But there's an eyebrow raising part. To power the shutter that controls the high beam mode, this person drills into the fuse box, and gets a live 12V source (!).

Is this really neccessary? Aren't there lots of live 12V connections I can use? Drilling into a fuse box and the attendant wiring involves seems like a kludge if I can instead just daisychain another 12V or something.

2. SteamPowered

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've done some research. Basically I have to drill into the fuse box. If anyone has any other tips, let me know.

Also, the F8L thread has alot of discussion of wiring, I'm going to move my discussions there. Sorry for starting another thread, I thought the thread was mostly about headlamps and projectors.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is no need to drill. I just connected it to the jump start pole in the fuse box. The fuse box cover can go back on but not perfectly due to the wire sticking out.

I'll take a picture later today.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here you go. I know, I need to clean up. That's what 158k miles in NY do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. SteamPowered

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very nice work, looks like the wire comes out of the fuse box pretty neatly.

Well done, thanks for the pic.