1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hidden warranty, or just great dealer service

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by eliotb, May 15, 2014.

1. eliotb

eliotb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a '13 Prius Five. There have been lots of posts about poor interior materials. Several months ago, while pushing on the arm rest to adjust my backside in the seat, the driver's door interior effectively collapsed on itself. The upper trim piece that forms the rest broke inward from the lower portion of the plastic door panel.

I was in yesterday getting my 10k service and asked the dealer service guy about it. While he said he'd never seen it happen, later in the conversation he cautioned me that while Toyota does not specifically give new owner's advice not to put weight on the arm rest, one shouldn't. At one time, he said, the arm rest was underpinned by a metal bar, but no longer.

I asked about getting it repaired or replaced under warranty. I was told trim wasn't covered and a replacement part was $1k. Personally, for a couple of pieces of injection-molded plastic with lightweight snap together fasteners in it, I certainly wouldn't pay that for it. Even if it included the window switch pack and other switches I would consider that high.

Anyway, the service writer said he'd check with the service manager about a warranty replacement. To my great pleasure when i got the car back from its service, I was told it was going to be replaced under warranty. So, they ordered the part and I am waiting for its arrival. My only question is to wonder if there is a hidden warranty on this particular repair, or was the dealer just making sure a guy who walked in and paid them cash for a car stays happy. Either way, I am happy, though like many not happy at the interior materials quality. And i won't be putting weight on the new interior door panel!

EliotB
    Annandale, VA

Mendel Leisk and dorunron like this.
  2. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am a large man (6'2" 330#) and I have had it bow on me like that a few times now, only 5k on it. I have never had this issue in other cars, the arm rests on either the door or between the seats have been substantial enough for my size, coming from many a Honda (Civic, Accord, Element, CRX). I have to just remember not to use it with all my weight. It took me a few times sliding in the seat and ramming my knee into the flying bridge to learn not to do that. I actually rubbed off some of the paint on the flying bridge hitting it so hard with my knee.

I wonder if it use to have better support prior to 2010 or during the current generation. If there is a way to upgrade it to support the way I am use to I would be interested.

My drivers door arm rest is cracked and broken. | PriusChat

3. Mark8007

Mark8007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2010 Prius and the same thing has happen to me.

4. Mark8007

Mark8007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I broke the arm rest in the Gen II I had, so I think the problem existed in the older models too.

Ron (dorunron)

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about 'hidden warranty' but it sounds like your dealership is exercising a little good judgement.

7. eliotb

eliotb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the replies. I am guessing that if there were a metal reinforcing bar in earlier models the service writer meant Gen II, but one of the comments above suggests that was not so. In my case, I also drive a '97 Jag which about as solid a car as you can find, and it has a long arm rest that is bolted into the door frame at a couple of locations. It's very sturdy. Hence my habit of putting weight on an arm rest to adjust my kiester in the seat. Anyway, I'm personally pleased with the "good judgment" shown by the selling dealer.

Cheers to all.

EliotB

8. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If my car had 10k on it and I put weight on the arm rest and the it broke off of the door and the dealer wouldn't fix it for free I would never go back. and if Toyota wouldn't pay to fix it, I would never buy one again. Don't give your dealer credit Toyota is paying for the repair.

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have had my driver's door interior replaced twice under warranty for the same reason.

10. eliotb

eliotb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had the work done about a week ago ... in and out in about an hour. And yes, Toyota ate the bill. Clearly, this is a problem with these cars. Does it outweigh the overall impression of the car a year and 10,000 miles after buying it... probably not, but the quality issue is an annoyance. If I'd bought the Fusion, i think i would have had better build quality and a stronger, more responsive car at the same price, but the downside would have been lower fuel economy, the Ford electronic console and the poor space utilization in the trunk that reduces its utility. There are tradeoffs all over in life. Anyway, car's fixed and I'm happy, and I now know not to put any weight of consequence on the arm rest. Thanks to all for sharing their experiences.