1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High beam / Low beam switch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by qbee42, Apr 9, 2006.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have a new 2006 Prius on order, and I have a minor question: what type of headlamp high beam / low beam switch will it have? Is it push-pull or pull-pull?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 9 2006, 07:32 AM) [snapback]237112[/snapback]</div>
    :blink:

Uhhh.... what an odd thing to be thinking about.

I've seen every other question about the Prius asked multiple times in multiple ways.

You pull it toward you to switch modes.

whew... congratulations on asking something new! :)

3. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusham @ Apr 9 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]237116[/snapback]</div>
    :D
    Thanks. I know it's not a big thing, but my wife and I both prefer pull-pull. We have had cars with both types. I suppose the idea behind the push-pull is that there are distinct positions for high-beams and low-beams, but I find it much easier to give a little pull each time.

We test drove a Prius before ordering, but it was in the daytime, so I didn't think to check how the "dimmer" worked. I couldn't find the information anywhere else - PC to the rescue.

So priusham, what part of Michigan do you hail from? We live in Northport, at the tip of Michigan's "Little Finger", about 30 miles North of Traverse City.

4. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusham @ Apr 9 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]237116[/snapback]</div>
    My 2006 and Barb's 2005 must be broken. Ours is push/pull. You push forward for high beams, you pull it back for low beams.

- Tom

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Apr 9 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]237130[/snapback]</div>
    Oh no, two different answers! I'm like the man with two watches: I'll never know which is correct.

It appears most auto companies are going to the push-pull type, although judging from the drivers up here, some cars must only have a high-beam setting. B)

Thanks,
    Tom

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 9 2006, 08:41 AM) [snapback]237124[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I get it. Just like the 2000 GMC Sierra I used to have, you'd pull the turn signal lever towards you and click for high beams, then pull again to click for low beams. To just flash the high beams you had to be careful to pull the turn signal stalk almost to the click point. I didn't like it.

With most Asian and EU cars, you push the turn signal stalk forward for high beams, and pull back to the middle detent for low/dipped beams. The detent for high and low is very easy to find, very intuitive. To flash the high beams, you pull the turn signal stalk towards you, which is a spring-loaded position. Once you release the turn signal stalk goes back to the default - low beam - position.

Hope this helps

7. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here is how it is on my 2006 (Feb2006 build) with HID headlights.

• When the headlights are on, you push for high beams and pull back to the "neutral" position for lows. You may flash highs by a momentary pull on the stalk.

• When the headlights are off, flashing highs is accomplished by the familiar momentary pull action.

A drawback of the push-pull system is that high beams will remain engaged until you withdraw the stalk to the neutral position. So if you park with your highs on at night, they'll still be on the next time you fire up the headlights.

Is there perhaps a difference between HID and non-HID lights?

8. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Apr 9 2006, 10:21 AM) [snapback]237170[/snapback]</div>

Ummm, I don't think so. I'm not in my car at the moment, as you might feigure out, but if I recall correctly I need to push to get high beams to stay on. I pull if I was to blink high beams in response to someone who thinks I am driving with nigh beams on.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    in my 05: push forward for high beams, pull back to original place for low beams.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Apr 9 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]237170[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm I think most cars are like that. For example, my former 2000 GMC Sierra if I was driving somewhere at night and shut it off still on high beam, the next time I turned on my headlights they would still be on high beam.

My old 1984 Ford F-150 has the floor dimmer switch, and it works the same way. If you stomp the button for high beam, then park somewhere for the night, the next time you turn on the lights the highs are still on.

After driving vehicles with turn-signal high beam switches, I now find it very awkward to stomp on a floor dimmer. The only thing worse would be going back to a clutch.

11. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, this is true of any mechanical two-position switch. A floor switch is usually alternate push-on/push-off.

We've become so accustomed to the momentary-action pull stalk that it's unusual to have a high-beam switch that remains in the last position you set it.

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Even worse is going back to an old vehicle that has a carb and a choke knob, like my 1984 Ford F-150 with an Edelbrock carb.

Not the first time I've cranked away wondering why the hell it won't start, then smacking my forehead. "Oh right, I have to yank out the choke knob and pump the pedal a couple of times ..." VROOOM