1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"High" Beams not so High?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SteveS, Jun 1, 2006.

1. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Has anybody else noticed that their high beams aren't high at all compared to other cars they've driven?

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you have HID's then have the rear level sensor checked out. It may be corroded and causing a problem. Someone on this board had a similar issue, the dealer kept adjusting the lights, but the problem wasn't resolved until they checked the sensor. There were no codes or anything.

Nate

3. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Jun 1 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]264074[/snapback]</div>
    Even on a brand new car? I only got it in January...

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree you need to have them checked/adjusted. Mine were just about right when I got the car.

5. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SteveS @ Jun 1 2006, 12:53 PM) [snapback]264065[/snapback]</div>
    Do you mean that they don't shine as high above the ground as your other cars, or are they not as bright as your other cars, or is it that the difference in illumination between low and high beams is not as significant as in your other cars?

If you have the High Intensity Discharge (HID) lights in your prius (if you have fog lights, you have HIDs), then one thing you may not know is that the only difference between your low and high beam settings is that a little mechanical shutter moves out of the way in the high beam setting. The lights themselves are either on or off; there is no brightness variation. The only difference is how high above the ground the lights are allowed to shine.

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi-beams are mostly a novelty. I've clicked mine on a few times over the years. If I tried to actively use them, I'd probably wear out the switch. Just too much oncoming traffic and not enough deer.

What we need is auto-dimming hi-beams, where a sensor determines that headlights are coming at you, and your lights should be lo-beam (however implemented) until the other vehicle has passed. Then, maybe, I'd get some value...

7. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jun 1 2006, 01:03 PM) [snapback]264079[/snapback]</div>
    I mean they're not as high. For example, my brother's '06 Jetta's HIDs could blind low-flying aircraft when you put the high-beams on... he gets really good distance with it, but they don't shine high enough to be excessive... the high-beams in my car are pathetic in comparison... i barely illuminate parts of the road that aren't that far away whereas he brightly lights them up. It's somewhat uncomfortable driving home in pitch black sometimes, especially when hills and such are involved.

8. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Jun 1 2006, 01:11 PM) [snapback]264085[/snapback]</div>
    I would agree about that with the Prius. The HIDs are so bright I don't need my high beams and when I do turn them on, I often turn them back off because they don't really help me see any farther.

However, high beams were a necessity on the explorer I used to own. The low beams didn't illuminate very far at all, and it was a world of difference when you turned on the high beams.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SteveS @ Jun 1 2006, 01:13 PM) [snapback]264086[/snapback]</div>
    They work great on my car. Far better than any other car I've owned. You should probably get them checked. If you are soon due for an oil change, that would be an excellent time to have them checked.

9. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jun 1 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]264087[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I'll do that.... I just moved to Quakertown and driving up 313 some nights in pitch darkness can get hair raising with all the hills and whatnot...

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note the difference. The Prius has one bulb doing both low and high. But with others, the low beams are still on because there's a separate bulb for high beams, making it seem that it's brighter since the low beams are still illuminating the near-sighted area.

My high beams are bright and shine high. High enough that anyone who cuts me off will get blinded with my lights in their rearview mirror. Heck, if the car is even on a a slight incline, my high beams are high enough that it'll blind me if I were to turn the lights on and stand about 3 ft away from the car.