1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High Coolant Temp Warning Flash Then Off

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kenneth S, May 15, 2024.

1. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    2013 Prius V
    176,000 miles

Driving on the highway I noticed the High Coolant Temperature warning light flashing for a few seconds and then turn off. I have only seen this happen this one instance. I had just put the car in Power Mode to quickly accelerate from 45 to 65 mph but then put it back in Eco Mode and was driving at 65 mph. I don't normally switch drive modes and so I of course am wondering if the two events are correlated. Coolant level is fine and holding steady. (I check it about once a month or two.)

I flushed coolant and transmission fluid at 101,000 miles. No parts were replaced at that time, just fluid.

Is this a sign that something is about to fail? Is there something else I should check? Or should I wait and see if the warning happens again?

Thank you all!

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It may be a sign that your water pump is starting to go. The impeller usually gets stuck and is the cause of the failure. You could be seeing early signs of the impeller not spinning at sufficient speeds to keep the coolant circulating efficiently.

SM-G781V ?

3. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^ I agree with the post above.

You should monitor the engine coolant temperature by purchasing an OBD2 bluetooth adapter and use an app. Engine coolant temperature normally does not go above 202F. If it does, you may want to replace the pump.

#3 Brian1954, May 15, 2024
    Last edited: May 15, 2024
    xliderider likes this.
  4. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    That’s exactly what happened to me.

Next time it happens, check your engine coolant reservoir. I had signs of coolant spill.

I replaced the engine water pump and it solved the problem.

hxs90, xliderider and Brian1954 like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    From what I've read here, it'd be prudent to replace the water pump somewhere between 100K~150K miles, even without symptoms. Depending on your risk tolerance, that could be in conjunction with either the first or second engine coolant change, for convenience.

Aisin WPT-190 is supposedly what Toyota's using, fwiw.