1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High Fuel Prices Causing A New Species of Obstruction?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by airportkid, Apr 28, 2006.

1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There was a stall on the Bay Bridge this morning. Now, that's not unusual, although the stall was out in the center lanes. Most stalls at least make it to the outer lanes before laying down and dying. The driver of this dead car sat dejectedly at the wheel, elbow on the window sill, her cheek cupped in her hand awaiting the tow truck that we'd passed earlier. I didn't give it a thought as I passed.

Ten miles later another stall obstructed the southbound James Lick freeway, again, out in the center lanes. Its driver was on his cellphone - he wasn't on a bridge where tows are automatic.

Now, in 30 years of commuting in the Bay Area, the only time I've encontered multiple stalls that close together is when the backup is so bad it runs people out of gas sitting at a dead idle in gridlock. That only happens when, say, a tanker upsets and spills toxics across a freeway and shuts it down for a long time.

Today's traffic was light: freeway speed easily sustained (except where the stalls caused about a half mile clot of bumched up traffic).

Going around the second stall, a light bulb lit up. Fuel topped $3.20 last night in Alameda for Regular, continuing on its rise to wherever it's headed. I had to wonder if both these stalls were drivers who'd procrastinated over the edge of their fuel endurance, attempting to stretch their dollars or (forlorn hope) wait for the price to subside before topping off.

Two stalls ten miles apart in one morning isn't enough evuidence to make my speculation anything other than speculation. So has anyone else in high density traffic (LAX, New York, Chicago, Missoula) encountered more than the usual number of stalls recently?

Be interesting to find out.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Apr 28 2006, 09:36 AM) [snapback]246677[/snapback]</div>
    I'm just to the south of LA county in equally congested Orange County. Can't say that I've been seeing more stalls than normal lately on freeways or surface streets, but I'll try to make a point of paying more attention now that it's been brought up...

One thing that I have noticed is that more people seem to be driving more conservatively than usual. Like if I'm going at or just above the speed limit in light traffic, there are fewer cars passing me today than there were a month ago. I got so used to having huge SUVs and trucks roaring past me on my commute, going 10-20+ mph over the speed limit, and lately they seem to be hanging back behind me more often than not.

Gas prices at the stations near where I work (Huntington Beach) are anywhere from $3.10 (Arco) to $3.27 (Chevron) for the cheapest gas. Add $.10 for each grade above 87.

3. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    They did a piece here this week on the radio about the increase in stalls on the freeways due to people running out of gas.

The more cynical/pragmatic view from the reporter was that people were doing it intentionally because they know that the official city tow trucks that rove the freeways during rush hours (isn't that all the time here in LA?) will give them one gallon of gas FREE to get them on their way.

They also interviewed some of the city's tow truck crew and they said that they were seeing more stalls on the freeways due to people running out of gas now that the price has gone to $3.00+ gallon.

4. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are slower speeds creeping in there. It makes the idiots all that much more visible and dangerous as they go rushing in and out of slower traffic. There are some that will not change their driving habits no matter how much they pay for gas.

I travel the East/West routes so I don't get into the bad traffic of the North/South. Plus SD is still not as bad as our northern cities.

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Apr 28 2006, 09:47 AM) [snapback]246687[/snapback]</div>
    I've noticed the same. It used to be that just about every SUV driver would be driving 75-85mph on the freeway. Now it's like one out of four, and it's me that goes roaring by.

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: What does this thread have to do with the Prius auto??

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Apr 28 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]246760[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah "Charles Suitt", Sic Em! this is a topic for FHOP...? right?

Here in Fla there are signs on the freeways/interstates advising drivers to moove accident/disabled vehicles to the shoulder.. other wise you can get a ticket on top of your disabled vehicle..

Could it be the drivers that have never let their vehicles drop below 1/8th of a tank before fueling are pushing the vehicle to the limits? This could very well be the case...