1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High gas prices help hype hybrids

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by eastercat, Mar 23, 2005.

1. eastercat

eastercat New Member

By KIMBERLY DURNAN
    E-mail [email protected]
    DallasNews.com staff writer April Kinser contributed to this report.

High gas prices help hype hybrids

Garland performer Jeremy Welch drives a Ford Explorer to haul instruments long distances to Renaissance festivals, but he bristles at the $40 he’s been paying to fill his gas tank.
    He’s looking into the new 2005 Ford Escape hybrid model but isn’t sure he can afford it.
    “I thought, ‘Will I be able to walk into the dealership without them laughing at me?’†he said.
    As gas prices continue to set new highs, Welch is becoming part of a growing crowd of disgruntled vehicle owners who are strongly considering hybrid gas-electric vehicles in an attempt to squeeze more mileage from their tanks.
    In Texas, gasoline prices are at a record $2.02 per gallon of regular self-serve. Nationally, the average price is $2.11, according to Texas AAA’s Daily Fuel Gauge report.
    . . .
    :guns:
    Carrollton resident Maryanne Sims prefers her Cadillac to “one of those lawnmowers,†saying manufacturers of hybrid cars would have to make them bigger, cheaper and more powerful before she would consider buying one. Using alternative transportation would be a better option, she said.
    “You literally can’t get out of your own way in one of those cars,†Sims said. “They don’t offer protection. I get hit by an SUV in one of those things and I’m dead.†:cussing:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw....168039b49.html
    username: [email protected]
    password: access

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what an a**. It's still all about the horsepower. This is sickening. At least our 'lawnmowers' are more manoeuvrable than her 'boat' and can probably get out of the way before it actually hits

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Pseudo quote: Maryanne . . . prefers her Cadillac . . . hybrid cars would have to . . . (be) . . . cheaper . . . before she would consider buying one. Using alternative transportation would be a better option.

She’s a Cadillac owner??? With the refinery explosion in Texas happening just 250 miles away from her hometown and on the same day as this story, she may find out sooner than she thinks just how much better that “alternative†transportation will be. :wink:

What Cadillac owner do you know of who complains about the price of cars? Something is fishy here. :eek:

4. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    That's ok, soon, when all those horses start costing $50, $70 or higher per fill-up, a Prius will seem pretty zippy to her. Stupid non-evolved people. Sorry, sometimes it just irks me to no end with the HP issue and all. Really, EVERY single person who went into my car with pre-conceived notions, came out blown away with performance, room, and gadgets, in that order! Oooh, change...fear change...change is bad. I'm really not sure how we evolved this far as a species...

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's alright. Nothing to worry about. In another post, GM's Lutz is quoted as saying, "...rich people aren't concerned with the price of gasonline."

6. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I scanned the want ads today in the Denver paper... there are 4 Prii in the used car section.. 3 are 04's.. 1 is a privite party.. out of the local area code a #4 make offer.. 2 are from a dealer in the $21,00 range..no options listed...and an 02 privite party as well.... NO Hondas

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh. I wonder why are those Prii being sold?

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"75292)</div>
    They didn't mention that Cadillac is a 1984 Deville:

[Broken External Image]:http://images.automotive.com/tmpimages/1/Cadillac-Fleetwood-10052.jpg

9. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Frankly, if you were comparing driver safety of a 1980-era Cadillac to most modern cars (definitely including the Prius), I bet the Cadillac comes in dead last.

Particularly if you include manueverability, i.e., getting out of the way. That land shark above isn't going to be able to avoid a swerving SUV with ease.

A new nickname for Ms. Sims and her Caddy: Fuella Deville. :)

10. cptdenny

cptdenny New Member

>>What Cadillac owner do you know of who complains about the price of cars? Something is fishy here.<<

Most Cadillac owners (93%) are not rich, ref "the Millionaire Next Door" by Phd. Stanley. Most Cadi drivers are on payments, you can purchase a one year old Cadillac that MSRP was $55K last year, selling this year used for $28K or less.

11. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

well man might have evolved but obviously Ms "Fuella Deville" is still right at the waters edge and possible partially submerged.

12. Frank Hudon

when you say that most are on payments I have to wonder how many are lease payments where they in the end don't own the car, having just basically rented it?

13. cptdenny

cptdenny New Member

>>when you say that most are on payments I have to wonder how many are lease payments where they in the end don't own the car, having just basically rented it?<<

It doesn't matter, most people making any kinds of a payment on a car will rarely ever end up owning it before they trade out of it.

14. Frank Hudon