1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High gas prices = people keep asking to borrow my car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sp33dy_gr33n, May 21, 2008.

1. Sp33dy_gr33n

Sp33dy_gr33n New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Now that gas is $4 a gallon, are family, friends, or co-workers asking to borrow your car?

I have had 2 co-workers ask to switch cars for the weekend because they were taking a weekend road trip. It always starts the same way..."hey are you going anywhere this weekend? Do you mind if we switch cars?"

Curious to hear other member's stories...

2. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NO ONE is touching the PRIUS.................no one except my mom, maybe..........of course my wife doesn't need to ask! (it's her claimed ride already)

3. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    dood... funny.. mymom asked if she could take it to vegas

4. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Try to be as polite as you can when you laugh in their faces. :D

I've not had anyone ask to borrow my car yet but I have got a lot of "aren't you glad you bought a Prius" comments from friends, coworkers and family lately.

5. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nobody has asked to borrow it, but my dining companion informed me that we would be taking "the hybrid" to lunch both yesterday and today.

6. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    gotta keep mom happy.....................she's got a gas guzzler, she's always happy to drive the PRIUS. gives her a reason to come to visit!!;)

7. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I force the wife to take my Prius to school. It gets double the mileage of her Beetle. I get stuck with the Lime Green easter egg 3 times a week now. What I think is funny is everyone I know seems to think that gas prices will eventually go back down.

8. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nope, the only people to drive the Prius either my wife or me.:cool:

9. Turbogizzmo

Turbogizzmo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Luckily my car is to "confusing" for my mom to want to barrow it....have been asked to car pool (more like ride with me) but the hours didnt line up.

10. mrsboz99

mrsboz99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, can't imagine someone asking to actually borrow my car! Hehe :) That would get a resounding NO! Don't even like my hubby driving my baby ;)

Been wondering if I'll soon be prompted to drive more in the carpool though :confused: They all know the great mileage I'm getting so we'll see what happens as the price of gas goes up. I do love driving my car so I wouldn't mind it, except for the wear and tear factor....commute is 90+ miles per day.

11. VaPrius

VaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dump your friends, Mom, wife. This is your Prius! Borrowing it... That's just crazy talk.

12. stumpy_c

stumpy_c New Member

Nobody outright asking to borrow it (would be met with a resounding 'no' anyway) but lately whenever any friends or family want to go anywhere together it somehow ends up that we pile into the Prius, heh.

13. Scummer

Scummer Eh?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My wife's coworkers have asked for a test ride in the passenger seat, so they could get a feel of the Prius interior before going out an buying one.

But if someone of my co-workers would ask me if they could borrow it for a road trip? No. would be the answer. Closer family yes.

14. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Outside of Trekkies, noone whant to be caught dead in my Prius. Another advantage of persuing your fantasy - nobody will ask to borrow your car.

15. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    HA!!! Nobody has asked me yet to borrow my car,, but I already had to tell a friend of mine that she could ride with me on Saturday for our little road trip up to Rockford, IL. we were both going to drive our own cars and meet up there at a friends house for a get together, but she called me and said with the price of gas she could not afford to drive her BMW as it would cost her $100 and she just could not afford that, so I told her I would pick her up on the way to Rockford and she can ride with me for free!!. I told her I would not let her cancel her plans to meet with us just because of the gas prices,, and Schaumburg was on the way to Rockford anyway...

However, if anyone asked me to borrow my car, the answer would be NO,, unless of course it was my father,, I trust him,, he has already test driven my Prius and he is a slow driver.

My husband is not even willing to try and drive my Prius for fear that he would do something wrong and I would beat him up :D

However,, the thought of making some money with the Prius is tempting, but I think I would rather charge people to sit in my car and I will do the driving,, I could have a nice little side job doing this on the weekends..

I would not be surprised if this idea comes into play at some point..

16. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    NFW would I let anyone borrow my car. Especially anyone outside the family.

17. flashsolutions

flashsolutions Flashsolutions

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Actually, I asked my son to trade vehicles on two occasions when I needed a big gas hoggin truck to pull a load of cement.

He and his wife were thrilled to be able to drive my Prius and I was really unhappy about paying for the gas to run his truck but you just can't pull a load of cement with a Prius.

In two days, I spent $60 for fuel for the truck. In 5 months of ownership of my Prius, I have only spent $500, so those 2 days were well over 10% of the total cost of fuel for entire time I have owned my Prius.

I tell all my family members they need to dump their gas guzzlers. But I'm not ready to give mine up in exchange unless of course its for my benefit as was in this case. Call me selfish. I don't mind.

18. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My parents dont know how to drive it, although i have offered to take them out and "teach" them (whatever that means). I'm tryin to get them to buy either Camry Hybrids or Prius'. Right now my dad does about $50 in gas a week for a 1998 Honda Accord DX 5 speed just cause he drives about 120 miles a day 5 times a week and that car has 200,000 already

19. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The only person who asked to borrow my Prius was my former girlfriend, and I promptly dumped her! That is the God's truth, although I acknowledge that the reason for the break-up was unrelated to the Prius.

Over the years I've owned a pickup of one kind or another, and recently purchased a very basic Tacoma. I find that people quite often will ask to borrow a pickup to move or haul something, that sort of thing, and I like to be able to oblige. I am happy to loan my Tacoma as long as I know the person and consider them trustworthy. I do not feel that way about the Prius, however. I would not loan it to anyone other than a very close/immediate family member, and even then only very briefly and reluctantly!!!

20. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What if someone borrowed the Prius and wrecked it, even it's not the driver's fault?
    Then you may suffer higher insurance premium and gas expenses, because the Prius is out of service.

So the answer will be NO, for insurance purposes and my peace of mind too.