1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High mileage Prime and remaining traction battery life

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by alinica2001, Apr 30, 2023.

1. alinica2001

alinica2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hello,

I have a couple of questions about Prius Prime concerning battery life expectancy :

1. How many miles do you have with your Prime ? Any issues with traction battery so far ? Currently I've reached 80.000miles without issues ( maybe a small 5-10% degradation but that's normal I think ).
    2. Is there a parameter that can be read with techstream or in any other program/application describing an estimate of "remaining battery life" for traction battery ? How is this actually calculated ? I see Carista has something but I'm not sure how this is calculated and how accurate this is ...

Thanks!

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never kept my three PPs long enough to test the longevity of the traction battery. But my understanding is that traction battery "lifespan" is not dependent on the miles driven as for the engine component. It is more dependent on the years and the number of charge cycles the battery experienced as well as the charging and operating conditions (especially the temperature).

So, hypothetically, someone who drives 50k miles/year would top the 100k miles within two years of ownership compared to someone who drives only 10k miles/year who would take 10 years to get that millage on the traction battery. I am sure that those two traction batteries would have quite different "remaining battery life" after 100kmiles even if all other charging and operation conditions are similar.

Here is a thread I wrote on the 1st year degradation of the 2021 PP traction battery. I did similar analyses on both 2017 and 2020 PP while I owned, but again, no long-term evaluation, for I kept those cars less than 3 years for each case.

I think the rate of traction battery degradation ~4.5%/yr for the first year is totally normal. But what happens after that is unknown to me.

2021 Prius Prime traction battery: the first year degradation

upload_2023-4-30_11-16-28.png

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have not read of any issues so far. heck, there haven't been many with the pip which is 13 years now.

check dr. prius app to see if it covers the prime

4. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    When I tried, the Dr Prius app didn't handle the Prime for a battery life expectancy test.
    I even started a thread, and asked if I was doing something incorrectly. From the crickets response, I guess no one else tried. Or if they did, they didn't reply regarding their success or not.

The Dr Prius app did show all of the cells, and their voltages.
    One metric for traction battery life, is the difference between the max and min cell voltages. There are various charts on the interweb, that give rough estimations of battery life expectancy, based on the cell voltage differences.

Good Luck!

5. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I don't know about over there, but here in the states - 2017 Toyota warranties the traction battery for 8 years and/or 100,000 miles. Any car after 2020 got a 10 year 150,000 mile warranty. Our cars are built in Japan and shipped here, so unless the European version got an inferior battery pack - I'm pretty sure you don't have anything to worry about. If 4th generation Prius battery packs were failing, you would find out here. The early 3nd generation packs are only now beginning to fail; but they are NIMH batteries not Lithium packs in our 4th generation.

Hope this helps...

popgadget likes this.
  7. alinica2001

alinica2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you all for your replies! :)

I'm now a little bit less concerned regarding remaining battery life ;) .
    I'm wondering if there are users on this forum which already exceeded 150.000 miles on PP without battery issues. Just to confirm that indeed what Toyota offers as a warranty is actually reflected into actual reliability of the battery.

8. Scarface2005

Scarface2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here’s my two cents…
    2012 Prius plug in - totaled by wife at 290k miles, all on the original battery. I bought it in 2015 with 91k miles and a 15 mile ev range. When it was wrecked it would barely charge 7 miles ev range.

2017 prime - bought in 2019 with 19k miles and a lifetime mpg of 199.99. Previous owner claimed it was still on the same tank of gas he drove off the lot with when he bought it brand new. It would only charge to 22 miles ev range. Now, with 130k miles it only charges to 19 miles ev range. I put 110k miles on it commuting from San Berdoo mountains to Greater Los Angeles, and would charge daily at home and whenever possible at work. Lots of highway miles and sadly equal amounts of stop n go traffic. My teen daughter has driven it for the past six months, mainly five miles each way to school. She’s only had to fill the tank once :)!

2020 prime - I bought it used with 109k miles and a lifetime mpg of 49.1, which makes me think the previous owner never plugged it in. The ev range was a good hopping 27 miles!!! I’ve put 12k miles on it in the six months I’ve owned it, and the ev range is down to 23 miles.

I also had a 2005 Prius. The battery failed almost to the day of being 12 years old. I had it replaced by an awesome Priuschat member. It became an extra car so I sold it to a friend fora grand, and who drove across the usa half a dozen times and finally scrapped it with 295k miles.

I love priuschat and have done all maintenance myself for over 500k miles across my four prii…. Except for rebuilding the battery on the 05, and I had Hybrid Pit do th head gasket on the 2012 plug in.

I feel like the lithium battery will last “forever”… ie, it might degrade by 80%,but the car will still be driveable. Im so glad Toyota finally got into the 21st century and is ditching the NiMH batteries!!!

I also have had three first gen Insights and a civic hybrid. Best mpg with insight was 70,and best with civic hybrid was 52. All of these were manual trans 5 speed stick shift, which is fun to drive sometimes but not in traffic. Manual trans Honda hybrids still drive with a failed battery pack, still get amazing mpg, and are still low emissions, but won’t pass cali smog. These cars are great and VERY inexpensive. But the insight is a 3 cylinder 1litre two seater. The civic hybrid seats five, but is a 1.3 litre so full of my family it barely puts along. The wife was always begging for a Prius, and now in hindsight I’m so happy we went that route. My fav thing about the Prius is b mode. I’ve gone over 100k miles on the same brake pads living in the mountains. The Honda hybrids I dove in the mountains went through at least one set of brake pads per year

#8 Scarface2005, Jun 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    alinica2001 likes this.
  9. Scarface2005

Scarface2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here’s my two cents…
    2012 Prius plug in - totaled by wife at 290k miles, all on the original battery. I bought it in 2015 with 91k miles and a 15 mile ev range. When it was wrecked it would barely charge 7 miles ev range.

2017 prime - bought in 2019 with 19k miles and a lifetime mpg of 199.99. Previous owner claimed it was still on the same tank of gas he drove off the lot with when he bought it brand new. It would only charge to 22 miles ev range. Now, with 130k miles it only charges to 19 miles ev range. I put 110k miles on it commuting from San Berdoo mountains to Greater Los Angeles, and would charge daily at home and whenever possible at work. Lots of highway miles and sadly equal amounts of stop n go traffic. My teen daughter has driven it for the past six months, mainly five miles each way to school. She’s only had to fill the tank once :)!

2020 prime - I bought it used with 109k miles and a lifetime mpg of 49.1, which makes me think the previous owner never plugged it in. The ev range was a good hopping 27 miles!!! I’ve put 12k miles on it in the six months I’ve owned it, and the ev range is down to 23 miles.

I also had a 2005 Prius. The battery failed almost to the day of being 12 years old. I had it replaced by an awesome Priuschat member. It became an extra car so I sold it to a friend fora grand, and who drove across the usa half a dozen times and finally scrapped it with 295k miles.

I love priuschat and have done all maintenance myself for over 500k miles across my four prii…. Except for rebuilding the battery on the 05, and I had Hybrid Pit do th head gasket on the 2012 plug in.

I feel like the lithium battery will last “forever”… ie, it might degrade by 80%,but the car will still be driveable. Im so glad Toyota finally got into the 21st century and is ditching the NiMH batteries!!!

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not even much degradation for most owners