1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High mpg = using brakes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by andyprius, Aug 30, 2010.

1. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Instead of using my usual gas savings procedures ( lightly accelerating, using regen charge and stealth) I decided to try a brand new procedure. Knowing that after about 5 min I would have a long series of downhill rolls I reset the comsumption screen. At the end of this downhill roll with two short uphill sections my consumption screen read 90 MPG. I then continued along mostly in cruise control to lose an additional 500 feet in altitude. ALL in all the total altitude drop was about 1000 feet,(approximately) The second portion being more gradual. I am using the same procedure that many of our techs use to get thier incredible mileage results BUT refuse to tell you. This was all done with the luck of NOT making every light, but having to come to a complete stop, for the most part. HOW did I do this.........the trick is to leave the car in drive, no CC, and when the car accelerates past the speed limit to 65, 75 85mph, your choice, then use the brake pedal judiciously depending on the rate of deceleration required for driving conditions. It seems that the more pressure applied the greater the regenerative charge to the HV, in turn later to be used again as needed. We all I think, are aware thar the higher the average consumption during the life of any one full tank, the higher is the end average fuel consumption. When I backed into my garage the screen read 56.8 mpg, which is quite good for a 47 mile one way trip. The trip to, I also reset but used mostly CC. This along with REBOOTING if: you have not done it OR replaced the 12V Bat. My rebooting experience still yielded 4-7 mpg more! As for calculating the mpg by fuel consumed and miles driven that is impossible and a waste of time. ( unless done on a very long term basis ) Why do I say this?, because one cannot tell when the gas tank is full! I am very curious to see what results I obtain coming down the Sierra Nevada mountain range. I believe I can obtain over 100 mpg EASY. :cheer2:

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not really sure I understand your post. Are you saying you got 56.8mpg by using your brakes more often or harder while driving down (westbound) I-80 from Auburn to your house in Sacramento?

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No! that will be my future test. Yesterday I took a trip to Jackson Rancheria (47 miles, each way) using two different procedures each way. Although I have used the braking effect before ( Evans suggestion ) I did not use it as extensively as yesterday. The 90 mpg astounded me. I have also shown 90 mpg before , after tanking up and resetting at the top of the hill at Auburn. But, that 90 mpg reading was accidental and I really had not analyzed what had happened. It appears as tho, the regen increases with more brake pedal pressure. I cannot prove this as I have no OBDII tester. The most enjoyable part of the trip was when a CHP caught a guy passing me in the passing zone doing about 85 mph. Schadenfreude! :cheer2:

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, nice! :)

I was just curious because my MPG can be quite high when just coasting from Auburn (Maple st.) down to Rocklin at Sierra College Blvd. (13miles one way). I'll test it again today when I leave work. The only drawback is the car is not warmed up and it won't be until I'm almost home. This makes it hard to glide without the engine coming on.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Going downhill yields better mileage. I don't expect this will be front page news.

Look at it another way: if you start at the top of a hill and coast down without turning on the engine, your mileage will be infinite. Using the brakes and stopping does not help your mileage. Converting potential energy does.

Tom

6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If, (the engine was not turned on) then your screen is blank which equals ZERO in all directions, NEVER did I infer "using the brakes and stopping" Where did that come from? I was exactly speaking of converting potential energy! That WAS the point of the post. " Going downhill yields better mileage " Now that was absolutely mind boggeling! You have totally upset my tranquility and missed my point! Congradulations!!! :D

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do I see something like a 1500 foot elevation change between the ends of your trip?

Elevation changes turn one way comparisons into garbage. Round trip comparisons are needed.

1 person likes this.
  8. priusmuku

priusmuku Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh I hate those CHPs ... my wife was driving at 90 mph [​IMG]

9. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your first post mentioned stopping completely at lights. I think qbee was completely in line with his comment, especially given your stream-of-consciousness writing style and the misspellings that made it not entirely easy to follow.

I don't think you stumbled onto some magic high-mpg technique that "our techs" have been keeping secret for their own use. You reset the MPG calculations after the engine was warm, which always improves the final results because the first five minutes are generally the worst. You were going downhill primarily, which also greatly improves the results.

I'm not sure I follow that. The battery is an inefficent method of storing energy, since the energy has to come from either the gas engine directly or indirectly from kinetic energy of the car that came from the gas engine. There's a slight loss in the regen gears, more loss in storing and retrieving energy from the battery, and a slight loss (10% I believe) in going thru the electric motor to be turned back into kinetic energy. You might end up with a third of the energy the gas engine put out (but it's a third that normal cars don't have).

Hypermilers do what they can to avoid using the battery as much as possible (the best scenario is gliding without the engine or battery providing energy). Hypermiling practices include avoiding the brakes and avoiding slow accelerations (on EV only). But when going downhill, there's a lot of extra energy, so you might as well make use of it and store it in the battery.

The advantage of having the large batteries is that the engine can be turned off when not needed and everything still works, plus the power is there when really needed, so you can get away with a smaller gas engine (and one that is tuned for efficiency, not power) and still be able to accelerate as today's driving conditions expect. When driving at steady speeds (like on a highway) a smaller engine really makes a difference on the mpg, because most cars are vastly overpowered in that condition and are throwing away a lot of energy, since they only have one engine and it has to be sized to provide the maximum acceleration desired.

10. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You are just cheating yourself, man! So what's the big deal if you get the computer to display 1000mpg? There's nobody there to award you a big trophy for a manipulated display reading. It's the real mpg that really counts. Wait till you have to drive all the way uphill. Wait till you actually have to pay for the gas. Sheesh!

Ok, this is a joke, right?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yea, but the jokes on us.:eek:

12. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1000 feet, quote: approximately. Yes, I agree on 2nd, point. This is why I treated the results separately.:D

13. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, after coming back into the Sacto area I was forced to stop at the red lights, all part of the same test. As for spelling I totally confess all my transgressions in that respect. I like Evans quote from Mark Twain. As to the rest of your posts we agree in every area.

14. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Perhaps I was confused by your High mpg = using brakes title. I thought I had a good grasp of English, but apparently not.

Tom

15. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is very important to get thru this warm-up stage. In any event, my test does not prove anything after averaging the high and low numbers I expect around 50 mpg. The higher mpg figures are exciting for a short period and help confer genius on the persona, no matter how misleading that may be.....................:D

16. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Don't feel bad, we all have some sort of failing(s)

17. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello teeasal! I actually went up the hill before I came down the hill, so I was ahead of the game. I get my gas using a credit card so, I don't have to pay anything. Is the MFD reading a manipulated display? Or, one segment of your driving? And it's not true of the reward, GOD is going to give me a huge trophy for conserving his Mother Earth. NO, it is not a joke, this is dead serious. But THANKS for your input! :cheer2:

1 person likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dude, dude dude dude.

19. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow. Drugs, perhaps?

Tom

20. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I promised to get back to this subject again and after two tanks I have to report that VERY light use of the brakes to produce more regeneration does not really seem to help. My last two tanke were 45mpg, both on the MFD and by calculating my mileage. Nor did rebooting help. My numbers only seem to help in the beginning, by eliminating warm-up and resetting the amg. However the computers do not forget, and the preponderance of my driving is 10-15 miles of suburbia driving with 6-10 stoplights or stopsigns. The experiment did however prove that there is nothing wrong with my car, I can still average 54mpg or greater on a 1-2 hour trip. Sorry for any confusion on my posts, I was mostly interested in knowing if anyone else had experimented with either rebooting or light brake use. :cheer2: