1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High Occupancy Vehicle Lanes...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SparrowHawk60, Mar 18, 2008.

1. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    HOV lanes,
    Living in lower New York State, I (we) do travel to New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and most of New England. Some of these states offer High Occupancy Vehicle lanes. Some states allow Hybrid vehicles to travel in these lanes with only one occupant. From what I'm reading it will not be to long before the Hybrid cars are no longer allowed in the HOV lanes with only one occupant. Virginia is really getting tough on their HOV regulations.
    Just wondering on what thoughts you Prius Chat members have on this subject.

New Jersey:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]Hybrid Vehicles[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    Will be Allowed to Travel in the HOV Lanes On the Turnpike
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Governor Jon S. Corzine and The New Jersey Turnpike Authority announced
    on April 27, 2006 that the New Jersey Turnpike Authority will be allowing Hybrid vehicles to travel in the Turnpike’s High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes. HOV lanes are located on the Turnpike north- and south-bound between Interchange 11 in Woodbridge and Interchange 14 in Newark and operate on weekdays from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. northbound and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. southbound.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    New York:
    If you drive a hybrid vehicle, like a Toyota Prius or a Honda Civic Hybrid, you can ride in the HOV lane even if you are alone in your car. New York State's Clean Pass-HOV initiative allows hybrid vehicles to travel in HOV lanes regardless of the number of occupants. If you are a hybrid car owner, you can apply for special stickers which you must put on your vehicle before you can take advantage of this program. To apply for the Clean Pass stickers, call the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles at (800) 697-0558. (Please note that this program requires that you put the provided stickers on your front and rear bumper, and both sides of the car behind the front wheels.)

Pennsylvania: I couldn't find any information about Hybrid use.
    Massachusetts: Forget about it!
    Connecticut: No information found on the DMV site.
    New Hampshire: Doing away with HOV lanes?
    Maine: No information found on the DMV site.
    Rhode Island: No information found on the DMV site. ​

2. adept

adept the prius novice

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Utah stopped letting hybrids use the HOV lane in 2005. You can get free parking tags for salt lake city, good luck finding an open parking spot to use them in.

3. dpguest

dpguest New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I love your Veteran Statement ....

Magnetic Gray 2008 Touring Package #2

Korean War Veteran, US Army, draftee, 1951-1953, 18 months in Korea, two battle stars...

Fortunately, the US did not cash my blank check....

have a nice day...:)

4. SparrowHawk60

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sir, thank you for your kind words and most importantly your service to our fine country! Glad neither one of us had our checks cashed! Hope that elephant is still around in good ole Somers, NY.

5. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At the risk of hijacking this thread as seems to be the case...

As one old dog who fought in the Viet Nam "conflict" and even was foolish enough to take bullet fragments into my left leg, I have never read what I believe put so well into words. I wish I could meet the author. It seems the best kind of people drive the little hybrid!

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My thought is that HOV lanes are a sign of a bigger problem. Something needs to be done about vehicle congestion. We need some combination of the following:

1) Fewer people
    2) People living closer to work
    3) More mass transportation

HOV lanes are a bandaid.

Tom

7. SparrowHawk60

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome Home and Thanks my brother!