1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High oil consumption

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Alf_onso, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Alf_onso

Alf_onso New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I'm owner of a 2006 Prius (Europe spec) and I've a "mysterious" oil consumption.

When car reached 175.000 km (110 000 milles) I realised than started to consume oil, increasing since then untill reach a liter each 1000 km (aprx. 0,4 gallons per 1000 milles). There weren't any oil leak for joins, etc. so I put out the sparks and they were full of oil.

Before, at 160.000 km (100 000 milles) , engine was opened to take pictures for a car website (there wasn't any trouble with the engine). Mechanics opened cylinder head and reemplace valves, valve's guides and seals, they didn't touch pistons rings. I suppose that the mysterious problem start there.

At 240.000 km (150 000 milles) the engine was opened to repair the problem. Valves were ok, cylinder compression too. So they only changed valve's guides and seals again. First 1000 km (625 milles) the oil consumpsion was low but 1000 km later (625 milles) consumption was 0,2 gallons. Now, Prius has about 250.000 km.

I appreciate any ideas or suggestions...

Thank you,

Al.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would start with replacing the pcv valve, after that I think oil control rings would be next on my list. Good compression is often mistaken for good rings, but to much oil round the rings seals them and gives a misleading result.

Did you test compression by spinning the engine or by a compression leak down test?

3. Alf_onso

Alf_onso New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose is spinnig one but I don't know (test gives a card like the image I've found in google)

[​IMG]

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Difficult to read the actual reading on that chart, but it looks like average 27bar or 400psi that suggest an engine spinning test on a Prius. The readings are even a good sign for the valves but as I said before a compression test does not really help with oil control rings. I would change the PCV valve (not expensive) and take it from there.

5. Hybridkarpower

Hybridkarpower Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Try put a can or Rislone engine treatment in your oil, then drive at least 2000 miles or 3200 km before you change the oil. I tried this method on my 02 Acura at 140k miles & it did help a lot because the Rislone will free-up the oil rings if they get stuck, if that's the case.

6. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I had a honda long ago that had great compression but used a lot of oil. I replaced the valve stem seals and problem fixed. I find it a little odd they replaced the valve guides and seals twice, and valves once. Replacing these is not a trivial task on an engine like this with the shimless bucket lifters, and must be done precisely. You may need to get a whole rebuilt engine, unless a mechanic can do all the tests to pinpoint the problem better.

7. Alf_onso

Alf_onso New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, thanks. I'll try to change PCV Valve.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess is that the root cause was replacement of the valves, valve guides and seals.

Since you say that the valve guides and seals were replaced for the second time, and the oil consumption was normal for the first 1,000 km after that work, that tells me there is nothing wrong with the piston rings or PCV valve. (However it doesn't hurt to replace the PCV valve.)

I agree that the quality of the machine shop work is very important. Obviously if the valve stem clearance to the valve guide is not perfect, the engine will consume oil.

It may be necessary to purchase a remanufactured cylinder head from Toyota, if you are serious about solving the problem. Hopefully the reman head will have been reworked more precisely compared to the work performed by your mechanic.

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Patrick I feel that at 150,000 miles it would not be practical to fit a new head, surely it would be better and cheaper to fit a complete engine from a low mileage wreck.

If a new head was contemplated before purchasing, the old one should be removed and the pistons taken out for inspection of rings and bores, after all once the head is removed not a lot of work is required to drop the sump and undo the big ends. It would also be prudent to replace the bearing shells upon replacement.

John.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe, it depends upon the labor cost to remove and replace the engine and transaxle, vs. just removing and replacing the cylinder head.

The least costly alternative might be to purchase a used cylinder head coming from an low mileage engine and have that installed.