1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High pitch noise from engine

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by brwnjr82, Sep 25, 2008.

1. brwnjr82

brwnjr82 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Everyone,I bought a Prius 2008 model from the salvage,having done all the work,i realised when I am doing above 35 mile on the speedo there is this noise like a manual car that is being driven too long on the low gear.(high rev/minute)Like the gear is not going upto gear four or five.The damage to the car was the following:-off side front panel,mainframe,suspension,driving shaft,inverter coolant pump and fuse box inside the bonnet(hood).Notting physically wrong with the engine.Most of the repair was done on the persenger side.Any advice will be appreciated.Many Thanks in advance

2. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What was the extent of the damage that you repaired? That will help with the diagnosis.

3. brwnjr82

brwnjr82 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Jelloslug,Thanks so much for your response,The damage to the car was the following:-off side front panel,mainframe,suspension,driving shaft,inverter coolant pump and fuse box inside the bonnet(hood).Notting physically wrong with the engine.Most off the repair was done on the persenger side.Looing forward to your reply.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In other words, high engine RPMs? My first suspicion is that the traction battery and/or its charging system and/or one of the electric motors is damaged. You will probably need to take this to a certified Prius tech to get it properly diagnosed with Toyota's proprietary equipment. Sorry.

5. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When you replaced the axle did you refill the tranny fluid for any that you may have lost? Can you pinpoint the location of the noise? Is there any vibration with the noise? Have you examined the wheel bearing on the damaged side for runout or endplay issues? I would also check the axle nut for proper torque (216 N/m or 157 ft/lbs). Those areas would be where I would start.

6. brwnjr82

brwnjr82 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Jelloslug,Thanks again for your help,The noise is without vibration of any kind.also from my observation,the noise seems to be coming from the mid section.lastly,i refilled the fluid lost when the axle was replace.Will try the axle torque to see if any noticable difference.Thanks once again for your help.

7. brwnjr82

brwnjr82 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello everyone,Thanks so much for all your effort in this forum.I have now solved the problem of the High pitch noise coming from my Prius engine.The problem has to do with faulty Hub and a missing part.The missing part was a plastic air reservoir attached to the air filter under the arc wheel of the driver side.I am now enjoying a very quiet ride in my car.Thanks so much to all members who offer their knowledge.It cost less than a £100 to fixed,whereas Toyota was asking for a fee £500 to diagnose the problem.Long Live Prius Forum!

8. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Great to hear you got it fixed! I knew it would not be something terribly complex.