1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High pitch whining from speakers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by asupko, Dec 31, 2013.

1. asupko

asupko New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi everyone.

I drive a 2004 Prius, and a few months ago installed a replacement radio (the Kenwood DPX500BT). It works great, but a few days ago a high pitch whining noise began a few seconds after I turn the car on. Now, the radio doesn't produce any sounds. It's a constant whine regardless of the speed. I tried re-soldering all the connections, unplugging the radio all together, any nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any idea of what to do to fix it?

I'll provide any extra information that you guys need.

Thanks!

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    High pitched whining like you describe is most commonly associated with a bad ground connection. Double check your ground lead and connection with a multimeter to make sure the lead hasn't been compromised/cut, even if the actual ground point looks OK. Sounds like the ground lead might have been losing contact, that's why the whine started, then the ground lead lost all contact, that's when the sound cut out completely.

SCH-I535

3. asupko

asupko New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The wire on the ground looks fine from the radio, no cuts or anything. Would there be any other reason for this to happen? Also, the noise happens whether the radio is plugged in or not. Is that still the ground wire?

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, you need to test the ground lead with a multimeter for resistance. A good ground should have a resistance of zero, or very very close to zero ohms.

SCH-I535