1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High Pitched Whistle and otehr new sound

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by spidey, Jun 24, 2009.

1. spidey

spidey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    After shutting down the car I am noticing a high pitched whistle that seems to continue for 5 minutes or more. I had noticed it once before but seems to be more frequent.

I have also started to hear a sound that is similar to a break squeak however noticing it while driving and not breaking and not as loud as a break squeak. I still haven't been isolate if its only drivers side, front or back just a new sound to debug.

Any Ideas???

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    This one may be that the holes under the side rear view mirrors got unplugged. Easy to check. Good luck! :)

3. spidey

spidey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I found the holes and both look like a plug was never in them. If this was the cause I would think I would hear it all the time and not finding this to be a constant sound

4. Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Missing plugs only cause a sound when moving.

5. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Missing plugs cause the high pitched sound when moving and it increases in volume with an increase in speed. Put a piece of scotch tape over the holes.

Brake noise without braking? Does it happen while making a tight turn? I can't help you with this one.

We once had a rock get stuck up in the suspension in another car. That made a horrible sound.

6. spidey

spidey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Ok there are two sounds, The high pitched whistle is when car has been shut off and occurs for almost 5 mins.

The second is the "squeech" when moving but not consistent. I am starting to think it sounds a bit like a sprocket that needs a little grease but havent had to do that to a car since the 1970's

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whistle when OFF: Wth?
    Squeech when driving: possible suspension problem.

See a dealer. The latter item is potentially dangerous, and the former is a mystery.