1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High speed Prius notes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by scary jerry, Aug 14, 2009.

1. scary jerry

scary jerry New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi
    We have a red 2008 Prius. Lately I have had the chance to take it on 2 relatively long trips at high rates of speed.
    The first trip was 399 miles in 5 hours. The Prius pulled in an impressive 42.3 mpg for the trip.

Our second trip was through Nevada. Average speed over 5 hours 20 minutes was 81 MPH. I discovered the speed limiter at 108. The whole trip was done on one tank of gas.

The Prius feels tight and comfortable at high speed and through the mountains of California and Nevada.

So, if you drive fast like I do you will still get great mileage.

Jerry in Sacramento

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you do Rt. 50 through Nevada? If so you probably did it in
    about half the time I did, because I tooled along in a pretty mellow
    way, and kept stopping to look at stuff and natter with bikers
    heading to Sturgis and the like...
    _H*

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I'm always interested in mph vs MPG. If you get a chance in the future, share these points so I can update this chart:
    [​IMG]

It helps if you can also include something about starting and ending location altitude or coordinates so we can look them up on Google Earth. Also any general driving or weather conditions that might have impacted performance.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

4. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've done the Los Angeles to San Francisco round trip a couple of times (Grateful Dead at Shoreline, Phish at Shoreline), and Los Angeles to Sacramento round trip a few times as well.

It's nice to know the R/T is about fifty bucks, not counting coffee ... a tank in each direction.

From my experience, averaging 70-75 mph is optimal, whereas at 80-85 mph I'm risking a fuel stop, and losing time + money ... 65-70 mph is just to slow for me

Heading back to San Fran soon for Black Crowes at the Fillmore :thumb:

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How 'bout Sammy Hagar?
    _H*

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those probably weren't biker bikers, more like fat yuppies on shiny toys. :brick:

8. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We call them RUBs (for Rich Urban Bikers). One t-shirt that was popular at Sturgis a few years ago said "A $20,000 Bike And 20 Miles Of Riding Doesn't Make You A Biker." I've been accused of being a RUB because I don't ride much any more, but I've had a motorcycle endorsement on my license for 43 years and have ridden thousands of miles, so I feel I qualify as a "biker."

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just wondering what is the official speed limit on those freeways. Here in Australia the speed limit is 110 km/h for most freeways, which roughly 70 MPH.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Without know his route, I'd guess the speed limits were somewhere between 65 and 75 mph. I don't know of any freeways within CA or NV that are higher than 75 mph.

11. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A true biker does not own any cars.

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the info. Good to know that's similar to the max speed limits here. Those stories of the motorways in Germany with no speedlimits actually scare me. I wouldn't even want to be sharing the same road as someone travelling at 130 MPH.

13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Montana tried no limits on a few highways for a while. I got to drive on I15 during this experiment. Yup, it was scary, as some who were driving above 140 km/hr were NOT skilled enough for it and didn't have the vehicle for it (tires not rated that high, older vehicle wandering in lane, etc). Imagine a 20 year old Pickup hurtling down the highway at 160 km/hr often leaving their lane and you'll get a good picture. The police would ticket vehicles traveling too fast for safety, but it was not enough to control the situation (we are just not smart enough for no limits). After a number killed themselves and others, the limit was set to 75 MPH. Not sure what it is today.

I've been staying in Canada for the last number of years. Here the max. limit is 110 km/hr, and on a few highways, even with very heavy traffic, the average speed is over 120 km/hr.

The German autobahns are slowly loosing the "no-limit" parts. Traffic too heavy, and too messy when someone makes a mistake. The pieces that are left can be very small. ;)

14. rfelley

rfelley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This sounds kind of like something they would do on a proving ground test. I'm impressed but as a mechanic I think you would want to consider that this car just experienced extreme conditions and replace the engine and trans oils well ahead of regular schedule.

15. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Very interesting perspective and comment.

We split our time between CO and AZ. Every 6 months, we commute back (or forth) in our two Priuses. Each trip is about 837 miles and takes about 12.5 hours. We average about 67 mph but that includes brief stops for fuel, food and bathroom breaks. We basically set the cruise on 79 and go.

Would this be considered extreme conditions too? Anything we should do once we get to our destination, were we stay put for 6 months? Once at our destinations, we just tool around town and do an occasional 100 - 150 mile trip.

16. rfelley

rfelley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the outside air temperature is 90 + during your trips then I'd say you are sliding into the severe use area. If the outside temperatures are significantly less then probably not. IT's far safer the err in the direction of changing oil more frequently than called for than the other way round.

Rich

17. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks for the response.

It doesn't sound like we're in the "extreme conditions" category. As we only do this twice a year and only for 837 miles each time, I'll just follow the recommended maintenance and keep an eye on the fliuds and tire pressures.

18. Croft

Croft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    130mph? I'm afraid that's really not terribly fast on the Autobahn. I used to use them regularly when my wife was stationed over there a couple of years ago. We used to set the cruise control at 120mph on her Merc and that was a fairly comfortable speed (took it to 140mph for a while just to see how fast it would go!). You still have to maintain strict lane discipline though, and a keen eye on the rear view mirror as there were many cars going substantially faster. I knew people who'd be doing 160mph and getting the flash from a car on the horizon behind warning them they were coming up fast and to move over! The Germans are very used to it and do keep to the right.

19. esskay

esskay Junior Member

Indeed, it's not scary at all in Germany.

I've done a lot of business there and have driven on the Autobahn. The roads are meticulously maintained, and it seems less and less of it is speed-unlimited each year. There are speed limits on many parts of the autobahn.

Speed is not scary; speed itself is not necessarily dangerous. It is the disparity in speed between vehicles which can be very dangerous. The key to it working in Germany is driver discipline and adherence to conventions (or laws in their case). Much of the autobahns I experienced are just two lanes, so this is crucial. Passing always on the left, never on the right. Slower traffic must stay in the right lane, no left lane laggards like here in the states. When there are faster cars behind, you get out of the way, right away! Naturally German vehicles are tuned and built to handle properly -- strong brakes, good handling, etc.

I would easily and comfortably cruise at ~240km/h which is about 150mph, and that's in a typical diesel Mercedes. Just wonderful, love it!

20. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have ridden on the Autobahn with a group of German engineers. We were running about 100 mph and went to pass. Before we were hardly in the left lane to pass, a vehicle was flashing lights from what looked like miles away. Before we could even get back in the right lane, a streak came by that looked like a BMW !

We asked the engineers about wrecks. Their comments were that there are not many wrecks, but when they do have them, they are a "hell of a mess" in their words.

I believe I will let the Germans do the driving on the Autobahn !