1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High voltage battery usage while sitting with headlights on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ron63, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Ron63

Ron63 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2009 Prius..when I am stopped for a train I noticed in a little while that my battery indicator goes down to purple area and my ICE starts up to recharge it..it takes a few minutes to go back to blue but it discharges faster with the headlights and a/c on...is that normal? I thought the 12 volt battery helps with accessories and I have replaced it a month ago. When I start driving it will quickly charge up and slowly go down as it is needed. Most of the times in the green area.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    12V battery is charged from hybrid battery. So all the energy that you use from 12V system comes from hybrid battery if Prius is in Ready and engine isn't running. AC uses energy from hybrid battery directly so that makes the hybrid battery bars go down even faster. So that's all normal.

But if your hybrid battery goes down faster than normal and then charges up faster than normal that probably means it's starting to go bad.

Data Daedalus, jerrymildred and SFO like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to say without a video, but sounds normal

4. frankv64

frankv64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Its normal