1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Higher speed equals lower mileage? Not always...

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by glenhead, Jul 6, 2006.

1. glenhead

glenhead New Member

It'll be interesting to see what discussion this spawns...

I make a trip between Austin and Waco (around 100 miles each way) every other week to take my daughter to spend the weekend with my ex. About once every six weeks or so, we go on the rest of the way to the Ft Worth area, where my parents, my wife's parents, and my ex live (around 200 miles each way). We make the trip in our 2005 1/2-ton Suburban 4x4, 5.3l V-8. Fully loaded with family, dogs, and assorted junk, we tip the scales at a tad over 6200 pounds.

I'm a statistical analysis engineer by education and experience. In my little world, there's no such thing as too much data. I've been tracking this for over a year, and have left out anomalous trips (heavy headwinds or tailwinds, or towing a trailer). The results are for both directions - the trip is pretty flat, elevation differential of less than 200 ft between here and there. 90% of the trips are made in the late afternoon. When I make a driving trip, the only time we leave the highway is for gasoline or nature breaks.

When I set the cruise control on 74 and leave it there, we can average just over 70mph for the trip. We get passed by about half the vehicles on I-35, but we're not impeding traffic - any slower is, frankly, unsafe. At that speed, I get an average of 17.6 mpg, +/- 0.3 mpg.

When I go with the faster traffic, running 85-90mph, we can average about 82mph for the trip. Running at the higher speed, there's more variability in speed, and lots more acceleration/deceleration. At that speed, I get an average of 19.2 mpg, +/- 0.1 mpg - it's pretty much rock steady. With a tailwind, I've gotten 20.2 mpg over the 200-mile trip at an average of 83mph. Into a 40+mph headwind, it only dropped it to 18.6 mpg. I left out the three tailwind-enhanced trips in the overall average - the 19.2 mpg is a true average under non-enhanced conditions.

These results carry over to other routes, as well. On a trip to north-central Kansas last summer, I ran the higher speed northbound, into a headwind about 80% of the way, with an overall rise in elevation of right around 3000 feet. At an average speed of 81mph, we got 19.1 mpg. On the way home, I ran at the slower speed, averaging 72mph with a quartering wind, dropping back down the 3000 ft, and got 17.7 mpg.

I can only guess it's a sweet spot in the drivetrain, but it flies in the face of what "everyone knows". Don't believe conventional knowledge - find out what your particular vehicle does!

2. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I think your data and experience tell an interesting story.

Perhaps one reason the Prius seems more "monotonic" in it's speed/fuel consumption curve is because of its unique ECVT driveline. It eliminiates the fixed ratios which are probably the root cause of the "sweet spot" in your truck.

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I agree that all vehicles have a mechanical sweet spot where they run at there optimum efficiency. Anyone know where it is for the 2006 Prius? Not talking about P&G but cruise control. What is the most efficient speed on flat terrain?

4. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jul 6 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]282222[/snapback]</div>
    There's been a couple places where this is gathered:
    http://privatenrg.com/#Bill_Moores - watts/mile from 40mph to 80mph. Also nice discussion on wind effects

Priuschat had a good thread recently (look in the fuel economy forum!), I like this chart:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...id=210092&st=26
    (I had to find this using the advanced features of google - set it to return results from only priuschat.com, since I haven't had much luck with the local search feature when using multiple words).

Basically there's a cutoff point above 40mph, and maximum mpg is about 33 mph.
    The folks that got 109 mpg in their Prius used the pulse-and-glide technique between 40 mph and 30 mph continuously.

For other vehicles (standard transmission), my understanding the sweet spot is right after the transmission is shifted into the highest gear (often in the 40's mph) - best rpm/distance covered ratio and before excess speed causes high wind drag. Not sure why 80mph is better than 70 mph for your SUV, but I bet 55 mph would trump both.

5. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jul 6 2006, 06:20 PM) [snapback]282238[/snapback]</div>
    Especially when you factor in getting rammed repeatedly from behind giving you that free turbo boost effect.

6. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

The answer is obvious. You have an automatic and it its lower revs in a higher gear. Not rocket science. Case solved.

7. glenhead

glenhead New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GasGuzzler87 @ Jul 9 2006, 09:39 PM) [snapback]283605[/snapback]</div>
    Ummmm... okaaaayyyyyyy.....

Let's see - 75mph is c.2050rpm, in overdrive (or "fourth", as it's called nowadays). 85mph is c.2200rpm, same gear.

Lower revs? Nope. Higher gear? Nope. Rocket science? I wonder. Case solved? You decide...

8. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium

9. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glenhead @ Jul 11 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]284451[/snapback]</div>
    Well I'm unsure of the way the ECU manages fuel in a piston engine but the rotary ECU cycles through several different fuel delivery modes. I can conly remember the name of two of them (there's about 5) one is "open loop" and the other is "double loop" anyway this system for some reason give you the best mileage at 90 Mp/h in 4th at around 4500 RPM or so, I don't understand why but it doeas. Maybe the Ford has an ECU controlled fuel delivery system that helps it out. Also maybe since the explorer is such a high vehicle, the air is causeing a slight bit of lift that lessens the load on the wheels and drivetrain but a 150 RPM difference would barely effect mileage. There a little more complex but these could possibly be close to your answer.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glenhead @ Jul 6 2006, 10:42 AM) [snapback]282025[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have the GT4 or GT5 gear option? That is, does your vehicle have 3.73 gearing or 4.10 gearing? If I recall, the build code list is on the inside of the glovebox.

I had a 2000 GMC Sierra that I special ordered to pull a 6,000 lb camper: half ton 4x4, SLT, GT5 (4.10 gearing), Z71 offroad, towing package, etc. With the 4.10 gears, I almost ALWAYS got better fuel economy than comparable Chevy/GMC trucks with 3.73 gears, usually by 2-3 MPG at the normal highway speeds here.

In Manitoba, most of the traffic is moving at around 110 km/h or about 70 MPH. Unless I went faster than 110 - which I rarely did - I got better fuel economy. The difference was even more pronounced at speeds of 60-80 km/h.

It's my opinion the 5.3 Vortec has a sweet spot around 2200-2500 RPM. Any slower than that, you're not really "lugging" the vehicle but you're using more gas. I also carefully tracked the fuel consumption as I'm given an allowance for business mileage.

Another odd thing: Driving around Winnipeg, at speeds up to 80 km/h, I got around 1.5 MPG better by leaving the shift in 3, instead of OD.

11. glenhead

glenhead New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Jul 12 2006, 08:40 AM) [snapback]284906[/snapback]</div>
    My Suburban has a 3.73 rear end. It's a real pig on startup when towing a fully-loaded trailer, but it sure is quiet on the highway!

It's nice to see someone else with similar results - makes me think I may not be hallucinating (at least about this...) The sweet spot at a bit over 2200rpm is exactly what I'm seeing. I hadn't thought about dropping PRNDL by a notch to keep it revved a bit higher in local traffic - I may have to play with that.

All that aside, I'm **really** looking forward to delivery of our Prius next week (Silver Pine #4) so I can quit using the gas hog except when I need it! My Loving Bride and I have already negotiated how we can share the Prius for nearly all our driving, and we expect our monthly fuel bills to drop by better than half. Right now, with all local driving on this tank, the Surbubban is showing average fuel economy of 12.1mpg - makes me want to scream. Fortunately, I walk to work, so I only put 40-50 miles on it a week locally.

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You may actually be running the engine under a higher load, and thus
    maybe more efficiently, against air resistance at the higher speed.
    If your transmission had an additional gear, I bet you'd top 20 mpg
    more often.
    _H*

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glenhead @ Jul 12 2006, 08:55 AM) [snapback]284911[/snapback]</div>
    I'll also assume you have the Z82 "locking" rearend made by Eaton. With towing of about 600 initial miles, the shop manual recommends taking the rear cover off the differential to wipe out accumulated sludge and to clean the magnet off. My 2000 had a drain plug, if I recall the +2003 did away with the drain plug. Your axle is probably made by AAM (American Axle and Manufacturing).

Hint: it's far easier to wrestle the cover off if you first lower and remove the spare tire. That's always a good time to lube up the spare tire crank too.

After I did the initial service, the inside of the case was sludgy, there was a dark gray film on the sheet metal cover, and the magnet was loaded with particles. I became a bit concerned so did another service about 5,000km later, and the inside was spotless. It really does pay to do an early initial axle service, especially if you do it yourself.

On the issue of gearing, from what I have seen of the newer pickup trucks and SUV's, they are grossly too high for gearing. For example, the 2005 Ford Expedition a co-worker has will cruise on the Trans Canada at 110 km/h and around 1,500 rpm. When he pulls his camper, the thing will barely get out of its way.

I'd have to guess the domestics for some reason geared all their pickups and SUV's for empty 75 MPH cruising. Load them up and they barely get out of their way. The 4.10 gearing, or even lower, would actually IMPROVE fuel economy at city and interurban speeds, especialy when the vehicle is used for its intended purpose of towing or hauling.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jul 12 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]284929[/snapback]</div>
    One co-worker has a '05 Expedition, another has an early production '06 Lincoln Navigator. The Navigator is obviously more luxurious, but it also has a ZF 6 speed auto transmission instead of the Ford 4 speed Slush-o-matic.

They've compared notes and the Navigator routinely gets 1-2 MPG better, and is rated to tow more too. The co-worker with the '06 Range Rover also has a ZF 6 speed auto, and that beast always seems to know exactly what gear to be in. Very impressive for such a huge thing.