1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Highest Miles to Empty at Fillup

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by taftjr, Jun 7, 2009.

1. taftjr

taftjr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What are people finding for their miles to empty after you fill up on gas? My last 2 fillups were 610 and 605 respectively, although I did not push the first tank to 610 before filling again as I was on 1 bar with 480 miles driven (showed 50 miles left) on the tank and averaged 56.0 miles per gallon.

2. whoever

whoever New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's the point of figuring out that. I thought Prius people are looking forward to fill up, you don't get many chance for doing that.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you might be running the tank awfully low up to 610 miles. 610 / 56 = 10.9 gal.

1 gallon (if that) left in tank doesn't leave much for fuel pump. Don't want to starve fuel pump.

It's fine to fill up at 1 or 2 pips left also. I usually do.

4. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When car manufacturers give fuel tank gallon capacity, do they measure just the tank or does that include the filler tube as well ? Most cars this does not matter but in the Prius, an extra quart or two in the filler tube could make a difference of 15 to 30 miles more. This could come handy if you can't find an open gas station. :)

5. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's true about the fuel pump not getting cooled. It's always better to fill up around a 1/4 tank and up. I was also of the understanding that running the gas level really low could cause small particles from the gas tank to clog the fuel injectors... :noidea:

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fuel to empty is calculated by considering the recent consumption and the amount of fuel in the tank as calculated by the amount used since fill up. If you are driving in a low consumption environment your miles to empty will be high but if you then go into a high consumption environment your miles to empty will fall rapidly, this applies in the opposite situation too.

The fuel consumption is calculated by knowing the flow rate of the injectors and the amount of time the injectors are opened for each mile. Fuel injectors open for one to four milliseconds, that is 1 to 4 thousandths of a second each revolution IF fuel is injected at all. This is a very clever system and considering the frequency and short duration of injection, very accurate. I should also say this isn't just used on Toyota but all modern vehicles with consumption readout. In the old days actual fuel flow was measured but that was when carburetors were still in use.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought fuel flow was calculated from the #1 injector pulse duration only, then multiplied by 4 (or the time to flow conversion factor has the * 4 built in)