1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Highlander (and Lexus 400h)

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by LewLasher, Jan 20, 2004.

1. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I'm researching what car to buy next, and right now my first choice is the AWD Highlander. (Current car is '94 Camry wagon; previous was '85 Camry hatchback.) I do a lot of winter driving in rural New England, so all-wheel drive seems worthwhile. I went to the Boston car show in November where Toyota was prominently showcasing the Prius. It seemed a bit roomier than my '85 Camry hatchback - I know I could fit skis or a bicycle inside it. The only thing it lacked was AWD. When the Toyota people said there'd be a hybrid Highlander a year from now, I was very excited.

Now that the hybrid Highlander (and its upscale cousin, the Lexus 400h) has been formally announced at the recent Detroit (North American International) auto show, I have mixed feelings. I like the fact that they are offering an AWD version (a salesjerk at a local dealer thought it would be only front-drive), and I'm intrigued by how they would implement AWD. On the other hand, it appears, even though Toyota has not announced pricing, that the hybrid Highlander is going to be a fairly expensive car to buy, and not especially economical to operate.

The AWD intrigues me in part because I don't understand exactly how it would work. I've read that there will be two electric motors, one for the front wheels and one for the rear wheels. But it isn't clear to me what transmission, if any, is involved with the rear wheels. My understanding of Hybrid Synergy Drive is that there are two inputs to the transmission: the electric motor and (as needed) the internal combustion engine. If the additional rear electric motor is not a third input to the transmission, then is there a second transmission (I doubt it) or does that rear motor just turn at wheel speed? I have heard of prototype electric/hybrid AWD cars in which there were 4 electric motors, one for each wheel, so it wouldn't surprise me if the single rear motor for the Highlander/RX400i just turns at wheel speed, with some kind of differential to allow it to deal with slippage on one side. But I'd be very interested to hear some actual information on how this really works.

What disappoints me about the Highlander/RX400h is that they are not particularly economical. (This complaint extends even more to the carmakers other than Toyota and Honda:) Rather than trying to break Americans out of the habit of excessive consumption, the marketing plan uses hybrid technology to encourage consumers to maintain the habit of overconsumption, but just feel less guilty about it. If my current car were to die tomorrow and I needed to replace it, I'd probably get the 4 cylinder Highlander. Cutting off other drivers on the highway just isn't that big a part of my life (or towing heavy loads) to justify getting the current 6 cylinder (gas engine) model. A year from now, the hybrid Highlander will be available only with a 6 cylinder engine (and only with a 3rd row of seats, which in the current gas-powered Highlanders is an option that I would not elect to pay for). The message they will be pushing is: you can have it all: even more horsepower than you need, and slightly better fuel economy (I'm guessing about 40 mpg, compared to low 20s for the current gas-only Highlanders).

I think I understand what Toyota is doing, and I wouldn't be surprised if it succeeds. If they can sell a mainstream vehicle with hybrid technology, it will finally kill the myth that electric motors are only for golf carts. And I suspect that "you can have it all" is a winning message for many Americans. But, as for me, I'd be happier to get a smaller vehicle that had the safety advantages of all-wheel drive with the fuel economy of a Prius. If there were an all-wheel-drive Prius, I'd snatch it up, maybe not even waiting for my '94 Camry wagon to die.

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Thought-provoking post!

I have one question, for starters:

What's with the ignition keys? Wayne posted some pics of the dash which clearly revealed standard-looking ignition keys! I can't believe Toyota would put out a $20-26k passenger car one year and then omit one of the really great features in (much higher priced) follow-on models; Smart Entry and Start.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep, you're right about the 2 different motors for the front and back, from the looks of the information on Toyota's Highlander Hybrid website.

[Broken External Image]:http://24.88.79.30/pics/highlanderhybridawd.jpg

Depending on how the seats are done in the Highlander (I haven't been in one with 3 rows) you can take it out and sell it on eBay :)

4. tag

tag Senior Member

Looks like they're of the fold-flat variety.

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There you go crushing my ideas, Jim!

6. tag

tag Senior Member

No, not at all! By all means, sell it on ebay.

Possible solution = lay some ceramic tile where the rear seat was, thus:

7. tag

tag Senior Member

okay, so maybe my grout lines are a bit thick