1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Highlander Hybrid maintenance Qs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Patrick Wong, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2006 HiHy 4WD-i with 30K miles. I hope the group will allow me to post a couple of maintenance Qs since the PriusChat HiHy forum has very light activity and we've got amazing Toyota expertise monitoring this forum daily...

1. When disconnecting and reconnecting the 12V auxiliary battery, the repair manual (p. IN-54) suggests that the SFI system has to be initialized. The procedure includes putting the car in inspection mode, warming up the engine coolant to 83 degrees C or more, then shifting to N and running the AC so that the traction battery SOC drops below 40%. Then force charge the battery for 30 seconds and then see if THHT shows that ISC LEARNING is complete.
    • Is ISC an acronym for "idle speed control"?
    • Is THHT just used to monitor the various operating parameters or does it do anything to shift the operating state of the engine ECU? (I am wondering if I can execute this procedure without having access to a THHT.)
    • What happens if this initialization procedure is not followed - what driveability issues will result?
    • Why is this procedure required on HiHy while Prius for example, does not require this initialization.
    2. A recent discussion about Prius spark plugs prompted me to think about removing the HiHy spark plugs to inspect them and put antiseize lube on the threads. However the service clearance on the side of the engine facing the firewall is non-existent. Again consulting the repair manual (p. IG-4), it appears necessary to remove the intake air surge tank (that the throttle body is connected to) to gain the necessary clearance.
    • I'm wondering whether anyone can suggest a shortcut. If no shortcut is available, I'll probably wait until the car has 60K miles before I do this.
    • How many labor hours would a Toyota dealer service shop bill for removal/installation of HiHy spark plugs?
    • Does the regular Highlander also require this level of disassembly to reach the spark plugs?
    Thanks so much!

Meg&Bear likes this.
  2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    of all the 12v's DH has disconnected, he's never done that. no drivability problems have resulted.

getting the right tools will save you lots of disassembly. :) get a socket made for spark plugs and a REALLY LONG extension. at least 18" to make it easiest. the socket DH has is long enough to stick up a little from the spark plug tube. toyota v6s in general have no clearance for the back bank. try doing a vcg on that thing!

Meg&Bear likes this.
  3. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not yet had to change plugs on a later model Highlander, hybrid or non, but if the manual says to remove the air surge tank, it is probably right. Looking over the v-6 when it changed recently made me hope that it is a long time before I have to attempt changing plugs, :eek:. If there is a short cut, I hope it is not to time consuming. I usually have found on most repairs that short cutting takes just as long, but there are exceptions.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Rick & Galaxee for your comments.

The maintenance schedule requires a timing belt change at 90K miles. Many of the same parts have to be removed to access the timing belt as well as the spark plugs (which the maintenance schedule suggests replacing at 120K mile intervals).

Hence, I think I will wait for 90K miles then do a comprehensive service at that time, replacing all of the following:
    • timing belt
    • engine coolant pump & gasket
    • timing belt idler pulleys
    • iridium spark plugs (hopefully they won't be stuck by then)
    • intake air surge tank gasket
    • engine & inverter coolant (if I don't do those at 60K miles)

Meg&Bear likes this.
  5. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wow you can do all those on your 06 highlander without the scantool? impressive!