1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Highlander Hybrid on the beach?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Thrak, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Thrak

Thrak New Member

So my wife's venerable 94 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 is in the shop with transmission problems. I love my 05 Prius, and so we had been thinking we would go with the Highlander Hybrid when the Rodeo dies. Looks like that time is near.

I was reading up on the HH in the brochure and came aross this, several times:

"Highlander Hybrid in 2WD or 4WD-i is not designed to be driven off road. "

Gah! That is a problem for us since we drive to Cape Hatteras point every year in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and the last mile or so is out on beach sand.

What to do? Go with a Ford Escape instead or risk it with the Highlander Hybrid and drive carefully? I notice the didn't say "Don't drive off-road", just that it was not designed for that. It is all wheel drive, won't it be ok carefully driven on beach sand? Or will it damage something?

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think they are more saying, "Don't use this as a safari vehicle or to climb raw mountains."

As long as it's not quicksand, I think you'd be ok. Maybe Evan or another HiHy owner could chime in. Or check out www.hihychat.com .

3. Thrak

Thrak New Member

Thanks Danny, that was my thinking as well. I'll check that site out.