1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Highlander Hybrid taxi at the airport.

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We went to the Sacramento airport last night to pick-up the in-laws. We were about half an hour early so we went for a walk. Passing the taxi staging area, I noticed a brand new (first day on the job) Highlander Hybrid taxi with its hood up and about 10 taxi drivers gawking at it. They had stunned looks on their faces.

Of course I had to go see. When I bent my head under the hood, one of the drivers said, “can you believe that the car is running . . . isn’t that the quietest car you ever heard.†Of course I had to say, “No . . . I believe I hear the climate control motor blowing.†:p

After I explained that I have a Prius, they had a million questions that the new owner didn’t know.
    Why two radiators?
    Extra maintenance?
    What happens if the battery dies?
    How often do you replace the batteries?
    Can you get electrocuted in an accident? . . . I don’t want passengers to get shocked.
    Where do you plug it in?
    Tax credit????
    Etc?
    Etc?

It was so interesting seeing multiple lightbulbs turn on and burn brightly. After I told them about the Vancouver taxi they started mentioning what maintenance and gas nightmares their cars are. One driver pointed to his car and said, “that car is less than six months old, and it is already giving me too many problems . . . and I already had a brake job!†I had earlier explained how the hybrid brakes work. They were listening. :)

The HiHy owner had a big grin on his face when I said it was time for us to go get the in-laws.

I think we will see several more hybrid taxis around the Sacramento area after the first of the year. :D

2. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

I definitely saw a Highlander Hybrid taxi braving the canyons of Manhattan about a month back... And here I thought that New York City was investing in just Ford Escape Hybrids, but I clearly saw a HSD badge. :)

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

thanks to YOU!! i am now cleaning coffee off my keyboard and monitor...awesome story!!

4. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

I actually don't think a Prius would make a good taxi due to the limited rear headroom, but a Highlander Hybrid or Escape Hybrid sure would, though their city mileage wouldn't be that great. A new Civic Hybrid might actually be a good deal as a taxi, since the rear seats are comfortable and roomy for two adults and I get 35 mpg in the worst traffic, 50 mpg going 40-60 mph on regular roads with a moderate number of stops.

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    so are you saying the HCH has more rear seat room??

6. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

I think he might mean headroom?

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh ok... there was a guy here i think who had both a Prius and a FEH and said that the Prius had more room legroom in the back. was very surprised to hear that and considering that the Prius is classified as a mid and the HCH isnt...

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The new 06 should be okay. They lowered the rear seat by about an inch.

9. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

Rear headroom is what I was talking about. I'm not tall but I've heard people who are were able to fit comfortably in the back, and I certainly find the seats very comfortable.