1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Highlander Hybrid

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by jackkpts, Jan 30, 2006.

1. jackkpts

jackkpts New Member

After not being able to buy a Prius for myself due to seat comfort, I am now looking at possibly replacing my wife's minivan with a Highlander hybrid. Anyone have one of these and can comment on real-world mileage would be helpful. My wife mostly drives on country-type roads - 40-45 MPH roads with stops only every 1.5 - 3 miles. There is some 70 MPH highway, especially when we go on vacation. Real stop-and-go city driving is fairly limited.

They are now being discounted in the Milwaukee area and offering lower financing as well. Your experiences with this vehicle are appreciated! Thanks!!

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    there is some good info about mileage over at GreenHybrid.com comparison pake.

It seems that you can expect somewhere around 25-26 mpg. Unfortunatley they have some database issues (after being acquired) otherwise you can get even more details by clicking the highlander links.

The highlander hybrid doesn't look that popular so I'm sure you can get a good deal on it. I started with th highlander as my favorite but the more I thought about it the more I realized that I don't need a minivan apart from 2-3 times per year. Those times I will rent a light tractor (sorry I mean truck). I think a lot of people start the same, looking at the large hybrids but then going for a smaller more effcient.

Too bad the seat didn't work out for you. I agree that they are not that comfy but they aren't horrible either in my mind.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. Also check out the Camry Hybrid later this year. 40mpg est. combined, 192hp and naturally bigger than the Prius thanks to another stretch in the wheelbase.

5. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly unless you are buying for the "green" factor, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on the Highlander. They are so much more than the standard one, and even my dealer told me that you will never recoupe the cost of the hybrid system... You are better off getting a good deal on an Escape Hybrid. I love Toyota- and not trying to sound harsh- but I think it was a mistake to ask so much for them.

6. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a friend in the Carlsbad area that has the non-hybrid and gets 22-24 most of time. I see a hybrid regularly in La Mesa and they are getting high 20, 26-28 and still in learning mode.

7. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

The Escape Hybrid is not only much cheaper than the HH, it also gets about 5 mpg better. Of course its reliability won't be as good but I do think it's a better car (though I've driven neither).

But it's definitely wise to wait for the Camry Hybrid this June.

8. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah don't jump from a Prius to a highlander... the camry is a much better choice!

9. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My local Ford dealer said he could get me an Escape Hybrid for $500 over invoice- so a fully loaded 4x4 would have been $27,895 approx. Last HH I looked at was loaded and $43,xxx!!

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    agreed. They're asking for Cdn$44k for a base Highlander Hybrid. A fully loaded 4WD V6 Limited is Cdn$45k. A loaded Hihy Limited is $53k, that's $3k more than a base RX330.

11. jackkpts

jackkpts New Member

Thanks for the info on this site. Very helpful.

As far as other responses suggesting other vehicles. As I stated, the Highlander would be for my wife as a replacement for our minvan. We need a vehicle to haul kids still and stuff. We also have a boat to tow. The Escape cannot tow a boat, with it's miserable 1,000 towing capacity. It's a bit small as well. Based on sales prices, it looks like a similar equipped hybrid is about $4K - $5K more than a regular Highlander. But with the tax credit of $2,200 or $2,600 and 1.9% financing, the net difference is about $2K. Still not sure, but the Highlander Hybrid site is a great source of info to help with the decision. Thx!

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [slap on the wrist to all who mention cost on HiHy]

The Highlander Hybrid and Escape Hybrid are very different vehicles. HiHy will seat 7 (albeit in a very bad 3rd row seat), is much more powerful, has much better towing capacity. For someone with need of an SUV it is a better/more realistic choice. For those of us for whom cost is not the major determining factor of what car we get the HiHy offers some very nice features and advantages.

And the recouping cost arguements are just plain stupid...that's not what it's about...never has been for Prius and isn't for HiHy. If cost/saving money is your objective you shouldn't be looking at new cars to start with.

We will probably be getting a HiHy for the following reasons.
    1)Wife's minivan is nearing 100k miles and is showing signs of end of life.
    2)My Expedition has nearly 140k miles and gets little use and gets only 12-14mpg when we use it.
    3)We believe in HSD technology and will support it. I'll probably never own/buy another non-hybrid vehicle unless it's fuel cell or some other advanced technology. And I'm more than happy to pay a premium for that just as I was happy to pay a premium for the larger ICE in my Expedition and a Premium for leather interior in the minivan and a premium for NAV and SKS in the Prius.
    4)Whether I save money is irrelevant, I will save gas in a vehicle capable of hauling skis and cargo box on the roof, towing a trailer behind, carrying my family of 5 and all our gear on week-long 1500 mile trips to Colorado to ski. It'll carry a canoe on the roof with camping gear in the back. Although the Escape 'might' be capable of doing most of this it won't do so with nearly the comfort, convenience, or luxury that the HiHy will.
    5)I trust Toyota and appreciate the advantages of their advanced hybrid technology over that of Ford. Not to downplay Ford's efforts...I think they did a great job, but not in a way or in a vehicle that satisfies my needs.
    6)We'd have paid nearly $40k for a new vehicle anyway, to get the HSD and other features is worth it to me (YMMV).
    7)The green aspect is, indeed, very important to me. I'm going to do my part and I'm willing to pay for it.

13. idaten

idaten New Member

My wife drives an HH, AWD Ltd and loves it. Yes, you can get better mileage (she gets 26, I get 30 with it). I drive an 06 Prius. Different cars, different purposes. She's got about 6K miles on it, and still has the initial grin.

We find that we often on longer trips will take another couple, and collectively 3 kids, avoiding the use of 2 cars. It replaces her BMW and my WRX, in one vehicle with better mileage. The WRX is faster, and better in snow - that's all we gave up.

All that said, I think the only good advice one can really get from others, other than repair history and good dealer experiences, is to drive the car for a while. In our area, Fox Rentals and the local dealership both rent by the week. For a couple of hundred bucks, you can get a really good idea whether you'll hate it, or if it'll float your boat. Best money you can spend, imo.

Good luck!

Rick

14. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be sure to find the best deal available! See this post for an example,

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=14791&hl=highlander

Heard (maybe on NPR?) that HH's are currently moving too slowly for Toyota off of dealer lots.

15. dipper

dipper Senior Member

For those that wanted a Highlander with better mpg, I hope Toyota comes with a 4-banger option (from the Camry) the next model year.

That would beat the Escape Hybrid's mpg with a larger SUV.