1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Highlander Traction on Ice & Snow

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by ggood, Jul 27, 2007.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My single, middle-aged school teacher sister in Omaha wants to get a 2007 4WD Highlander Hybrid to replace her aging Subaru Outback. Besides choking on the cost, I'm concerned Toyota's aggressive posture on preventing wheel spin on the hybrids could leave her stranded or slow her down in some situations where the regular Highlander would spin through more easily. Can anyone with actual experience comment on this? Thanks.

Since I'm down in Houston, I haven't had much experience on ice or snow in either my former Prius or my current Camry. However, I did have a few scary moments in the Prius, when it stalled out due to traction control. I've had no such problems in the much heavier Camry.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get a really good set of AS tyres (Nokian WRs is one). The stock tyres (even on the HiHy) leave a lot to be desired.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the prius does fine. it only does poorly on gravel... and loose gravel. it does great on ice.

my parents rx400h does well in any situation. It will out 4x4 my fathers F350 super duty dully 4x4 package ( which probably only includes mud flaps.. knowing ford... )