1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Highway Commuting Tips and Tactics

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by sakai, Nov 25, 2009.

1. sakai

sakai New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone...

I tried a few searches in order to avoid topic duplication (please don't pig-pile on the newbie!), but didn't have much luck.

My situation is this: a daily commute of about 85 miles, where 82 of them are highway (speed limits ranging from 55-70). From this great community I have read and watched and figured out fast how much fun it is to get 75mpg plus around town (side note: it's waaaaaaaaaay easier to learn pulse-n-glide than I thought). But for us highway commuters - what's the best way to maximize our mpg? My typical commute is done at 55mph and is pretty much an excuse to chill out and listen to my IPod. Suggestions? Tips? All are appreciated.

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    On highways I use the MFD screen that shows the instantaneous MPG as a bar graph. It is interesting to observe that there is usually a big jump in MPG between the mode when the car is running at max fuel efficiency and that when the car is running at the next best fuel efficiency. The former (max efficiency) is referred to as "superhighway mode" by some. I try to stay in this mode. The only problem is if there is ever so slight sloping up in the road the speed will drop in this mode. So just try to stay in this mode as much as possible. Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

3. sakai

sakai New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I just completed my first tank commuting to work. I decided to start off doing the simplest possible test - set the cruise control at 50mph and use the IPod to pass the time. There were five commutes to work (round trip of 85 miles) and a few small trips locally. Several cold commutes (temps below 45F) and only a little traffic to practice my pulsing and gliding. The results? 51.3mpg versus my first tank of 52.3mpg of half city / half highway. So far, not too shabby. Not sure what else I can do to squeeze more mileage out of the work drive (80 of those miles are highway), but compared to my last commuter car, this is great. :D

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Excellent start. For even more mpg, try the following links.
    Read the following articles:
    Beating the EPA - The Why’s and How to Hypermile - CleanMPG Forums
    Pulse and Glide plus Warp Stealth in the Prius II for maximum FE … - CleanMPG Forums
    and practice super highway mode:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-fuel-economy/38590-highway-driving-in-prius-ii.html
    and for cold weather:
    A Hybrid Owner’s winter survival guide - CleanMPG Forums

Good luck.

5. sakai

sakai New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the links! I had seen reference/found a few of those on my own, but the new info will give me more to think about. The only thing I left out was that my last tank was done with tire pressures of 37/35. Why those numbers? I just wanted to bump it up a bit to test the ride over the recommended set points. I'm sure I'm about to go higher...

6. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow, lots of technical information here, i'm sure the scan gauge, charts and all would be a great deal of help, NO DOUBT>

however, here's what my suggestion is............look at the energy and consumption gauge. driving a prius the regular, old fashioned "steady the throttle" way is not good for mileage. i think a lot of people drive the prius with a steady throttle and wonder why economy is not good. on the highway, get to highway speeds WITHOUT constant load on the engine. maintain speeds and if you can, lift off the throttle when possible.

now, when you are going up a grade or up a hill, then all bets are off and you gotta use throttle otherwise you're going to be a moving road block for the other cars.

hope that helps.

cheers

7. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Following is a copy of my post.
    -----
    I've tried Warp Stealth and SHM, but the mpg gain is very limited.

A rule of thumb on highway = slower is better

Usually a highway driving is a long trip. My recommendation is driving with cruise control and be just relax, comparing to strain your nerves for these techniques.

Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.
  8. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Try 40-42 in the front and 2 psi lower in the rear. Might pick up another mpg or two.

9. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree. If you can drive 25 or 40 on highways where you drive, that will easily beat whatever techniques you apply at higher speeds. If you must drive faster, then learning to selectively apply the advanced techniques offers some benefit for those inclined to perfect them.

10. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do highway commuting too. I find that there are two distinct phases.

Phase 1 is warmup. 25 mpg is not unusual.

Phase 2 is after warmup. I find I consistently get over 50, 60, and sometimes 70. It takes no effort.

Why do I separate this into 2. That's because no matter how carefully you drive in phase 2 has no effect on phase 1.

I suggest you drive 3 miles. Stop. Calculate your mpg. Restart and drive the rest of the trip every day. If you want to improve your overall average, try being more careful in phase 1. Phase 1 pulls your stats down real fast. I find I can improve phase 1 merely by parking in a garage at night.

So there you have it, putting your car in the garage has more effect than all the careful driving.

Of course, this is all a game and I like playing it. In the real world, you are putting a lot of effort to save a few pennies.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Dry roads in good conditions at 50 CC should return better than 51 mpg. I'd expect 60 mpg.

12. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1 on increased tire pressure. Take it as high as is safe (check max on sidewall) and see if the ride bothers you. I'm at 43-41 (F-R) and don't notice any discomfort.
    With so many high speed miles, air is your main enemy. Try driving in a vacuum. ;-) There are a ton of attempted mods to improve cD that you can look up, but it'd be up to your judgement about what makes sense. Do you have many hills? I keep the cruise control at 65 but when climbing a steepish hill I gradually feather it back under 60 until I reach the top, just avoids the ICE going into that strained sounding high RPM. Then on the way down the other side it's easy to bump up the CC lever a little at a time and regain the speed for free. I climb faster than the truckers, slower than the left lane, so it can get tricky in traffic.

- D

13. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was hanging around my tire shop for a bit this week while they were swapping my all seasons for snow tires... they had a poster on the wall with lots of arguements for why you should only put the pressure listed in the door jam. I didn't pay any attention and they didn't argue at all about putting them at 40/38 (sidewall says stay at 40 or less). I've heard it said snow traction is better with soft tires, so I may lower it in snowy weather.

14. sakai

sakai New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My ride has only small rolling hills - nothing here in coastal SC should really be described as a hill. My third tank was at 55mpg. I'm still mastering the around town skills (there is always a few runs for errands and a trip to the farmers market every tank). The tires have been set to "only" 38/36 as I learn the nuances of the car. Every tank seems to show me something new, which is fun. And I finally got caught in my first real bumper-to-bumper shutdown traffic accident commute - and I must admit, driving on the battery alone for long stretches of gliding-n-pulsing is fun. So the work continues. Higher tire pressures surely to come.

15. Ray Felton

Ray Felton New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2012 prius c II purchased on Oct 26 2012. L & S at Beckley WV excellent dealer for Toyota. First 8000 miles lived in WV. Moved to GA and now have 15000 miles on it. No repairs required to this date. Car was keyed in Sept 2013 had Riverfront Toyota repaint the side perfect match of paint by there body shop. My only highway trip so far was 575 miles from Beckley WV to Columbus Ga. Averaged 52 mpg.

16. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    With the small hills on the highway, you can do a little driving-with-load (DWL), allowing speed to bleed off near the apex and then picking it back up on the decent. It's more efficient than keeping speed constant with the cruise control.

Video Series: Driving for fuel economy: Driving with load (DWL) | Green Lights Hudson Valley

When in heavy traffic, "play the accordion" with the space in front of you to try to keep the electric crawl speed as constant as possible. It's much more efficient than going, stopping, going, stopping. It also improves things for the cars behind you.

Leave lots of following distance so you can anticipate slow-downs and not have to use the brake pedal. It also helps the traffic flow at entrance ramps by easing the merge for the vehicles entering the highway.

I like to set up a long-draft with a high-profile vehicle in the right lane. Even at a safe following distance, the air seems to be less turbulent behind something big than when driving out in the open. High-profile vehicles also tend to drive-with-load, an added bonus.