1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hills

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stringer, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Stringer

Stringer New Member

I have noticed that my Prius falls back slowly on very high-gradient uphills if stopped (eg. at lights) and if the brake isn't pressed. It doesn't happen on low-gradient uphills. Is that normal behavior or should I contact Toyota to fix it?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    any car will do the same if the hill is steep enough

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mmhmm. Worse if it's a manual hehe. Unless it's a Subaru (can't remember the exact model. Maybe it was the Forester) which has a hill-hold feature. Same as the 4Runner. These vehicles have a system in wihch when you let of of the brake pedal on an incline, it still applies the brakes for a few seconds longer untli you press the accelerator.

Otherwise, yeah it'll roll backwards. Remember driver training class? hehehe.

4. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, and since the Prius actually engages the electric motor to simulate the slight forward motion of a gas engine when the brake is released...it is actually using energy to maintain its position on the hill (go to the arrows screen and you can see it).

So, keeping your foot on the brake is not only safer, but it saves energy too.

5. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

It's normal, Stringer.

6. Stringer

Stringer New Member

Okay, good to know. I was worried because our local Toyota site says there is supposed to be hill-hold feature. But it doesn't say anything else about the feature and I guess they then meant the normal automatic transmission operation. Anyway, in this country, it is uncommon to drive the license with automatic transmission since it leaves a mark to the license. Hell, it is even uncommon to own a car with automatic transmission.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it said so on the Canadian site too but apparently there were a few features taken out at the last minute before arrival in 2003. The hill-hold feature was one of them (unless, like you suggested, they meant the normal automatic transmission creep). The other was ASL which is now present on the 06 models.

Ahh, I see. Yeah you used to need to retake the driver's licence with a manual car if you wanted to drive manual. I don't think that's required now where I live.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

[/quote]

Studebaker had the same feature back in the 30s. :)

I just keep my foot on the brake pedal. I can go from that to the accelerator pedal pretty quickly.

9. Stringer

Stringer New Member

I have new information regarding this issue. I did find following sentence from our local Prius brochure:
    "Mäkipidätin estää jarrujen avulla auton vierimisen taaksepäin ylämäessä liikkeelle lähdettäessä"

Translated it says something like
    "Hill-hold feature uses brakes to maintain its position on the hill when user is going to drive forward"

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 28 2006, 09:10 AM) [snapback]231382[/snapback]</div>
    American Sign Language? For the voice-activated NAV perhaps?

11. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 26 2006, 10:50 AM) [snapback]230463[/snapback]</div>
    We had this on our manual transmission Legacy. It held the brake on until one released the clutch. Worked like a charm. I don't think it's on the automatics.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if i got my foot on brakes, i get arrows too.

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Apr 24 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]244611[/snapback]</div>
    If you squish the brakes harder, Dave, the arrows will go away. If they do not, one might like to know why that is.

14. TummyMan

TummyMan Tummy Man

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I talked to a guy who was a mail person & he said before I buy a Prius I should check into the hill speed of the Prius.

How dose the Prius do on gradient uphills?

There is one between Phoenix & the Sedona area on 17 north that he said the prius is a gutless wonder and it slows way down. That stretch of highway is 75 MPH, he said sometimes it drops to below 45 MPH.

Is this true for most?

15. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Well I don't know the hill you're talking about, but so far I haven't had any problems maintaining speed (or accelerating) on hills, and I've driven some pretty hilly highways here on the east coast.

16. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    To use this advanced feature the operator must push on the break pedal until the "hill-hold" feature activates and stops the car from going backwards. If you weren't fortunate enough to buy a car with this feature as standard then you will have to use the alternate method of pushing on the break pedal until the car stops rolling backwards.

As a side note, it costs upwards of $300 to run diagnostics on the hill-hold system so use it sparingly.

17. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All fun aside, there are numerous posts describing no difficulty with hills of all types. In particular are a few recent posts from someone driving in the mountain passes in Colorado with no difficulty.

18. wyounger

wyounger New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I read auto magazine accounts of hill-climb limitations, but they were testing the very early model Prius that was only sold in Japan. If you ran flat-out up a long mountain grade, eventually you deplete all the assist the battery can give and the car has to slow down to a rate that can be supported by the ICE alone. They reported that under this condition, a turtle icon appeared on the MFD. This probably wasn't a problem so much in Japan because highway speeds are kept lower there.

Toyota knew that they would have to make the Prius more powerful to sell it in the US (and beef up the air conditioning!) and they did so before selling it here. They added power to that model before starting US sales, and they added more power again with the introduction of the 2004 model. I've not heard of any hill-climb limitations in US-spec Prius.

Now what might be is that this person isn't willing to push the accelerator hard enough that the engine has to rev to do the job. Like most any 4-cylinder car, if you want to climb a large grade at high speed you are going to have to rev the engine. These capabilities are designed in, though. Vehicle manufacturers know that there are places in the southwestern US where there are very long grades, very high temperatures, and very high average vehicle speeds!

19. wyounger

wyounger New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is almost always true. The exception is when the battery is VERY full. If I just barely get to 8 green bars, the arrows go away when I hold the brake pedal firmly at a stop. But if I get to 8 green bars and continue regen-braking, then stop, Prius starts looking for ways to waste energy so the battery doesn't overcharge. In that condition, it doesn't care how hard I push on the brake pedal, the arrows stay. And sometimes it will also pull that trick that has been described here by others where it will repeatedly start up and shut down the ICE, just to give the motors something else to do that will use some more energy.

These are probably both normally very rare events but there is a hill I go down every day that is almost perfect for this. You exit the Interstate at high speed, go down a long downhill off-ramp, and have to sit at the bottom while waiting for the traffic light to change. If I am at 7 bars when I exit the Interstate, I can usually get enough energy from the regen to see this behavior once I stop at the bottom of the hill.

20. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, we haven't all wimped out getting a car with an automatic transmission - Prius doesn't have a transmission - at least not one that shifts gears - way smarter than automatic, manual, cone & belt - etc. etc. - the planetary power-split device is pure genius:whoo: