1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hiring a personal injury attorney

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jmann, Mar 21, 2007.

1. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, in May 2005, I was hit by a car while I was running. The driver was cited, plead guilty to some moving offense, etc. In the mean time, a family member has been representing me in an attempt to get a settlement from the insurance companies that represent the driver and the owner of the car. Of course, we cannot come to a settlement agreements on the value of the damages. This is not her area of practice, and I am running out of time on the statute of limitation so I need to find personal injury attorney. To jump to the point...of course I was seriously injured. However, I was not critically injured. I did loose time, had to cancel a race two years in a row, and lost one year of experience of engineering, which if you analyze the value of that, is significant. So my economic damages are much higher than my medical bills alone would indicate.

I need some advice for finding a picking a personal injury attorney. This area of the legal professional is known for its lack of ethics, and I would like to avoid an ethically questionable attorney. I am sure it is just a few small people giving the professional a bad name, but still....

So if anyone can provide some tips, personal stories, etc, that would be helpful. Also, referrals in the north-east Ohio area would be appreciated, PM me.

Thanks again for your help.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmann @ Mar 21 2007, 08:43 PM) [snapback]409947[/snapback]</div>
    I am very sorry about your injury.

But I think the only way to avoid an unethical attorney is to hire a plumber instead.

3. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 21 2007, 11:17 PM) [snapback]409966[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. It is old news now. It is just finally time to deal with the dreaded legal stuff now.

4. Spoid

Spoid New Member

Hmmm. The Google ads come up with some options.

5. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spoid @ Mar 22 2007, 12:00 AM) [snapback]409988[/snapback]</div>
    See the problem is that this is the largest section of the phone book with hundreds of attorneys. Were does one start? I guess it must be like finding an audiologist. You just start calling until you find someone you like.

6. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmann @ Mar 22 2007, 12:03 AM) [snapback]409989[/snapback]</div>
    I got a personal injury attorney who turned out to be a jerk. Poor communication and he was always out of town. So I told him to fark off, and got a new one, referred to me from my chiropractor. Two months later, I had a check in my hand which reimbursed me for my expenses and a little more.

I recommend everyone get a good injury attorney if they are in a car accident that isn't their fault. I had to go to a chiropractor for 5 months and it would have cost me more than $3,000.00 after my work benefits ran out.

It's best to call one the same day of the accident, when the details are still fresh in your mind. Never assume the insurance company will pay you anything, because they will twist your arm and get you to sign away your rights. I know Progressive tried that with me, and my lawyer told me don't go there and sign anything.

It sucks, but a good attorney will take care of the financials and it doesn't cost you a cent.

Dave

7. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Really you're best to go from an acquaintance referral. Do you know no one that can provide you with one? Even then, you'll have to stay on your attorney to make sure progress is made. Don't assume that when you don't hear from them, they're actually working on your case. This comes from personal experience. My brother in law referred me to someone. After the introduction, I waited two weeks only to call my attorney and hear that he wasn't able to locate my witness. I hired a skip tracer and had the info on my desk the very next morning. I fired him and retained another lawyer who was far more able. They'll probably call you in to interview you to see if your case has merit (my second lawyer did, but not my first). That's really your opportunity to interview them and see if you find them capable. If not, just keep looking.

I had a fractured L1 (still causes problems), a head contusion, fluid in my ear (still do) and a messed up hip. I've found that I would've been better off financially had I spilled a hot cup of coffee on my lap. Inequities abound. Hope you fair better and more importantly, that you're ok now and not still suffering from the injuries.

8. Abq Richard

Abq Richard New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Finding a good lawyer is difficult. Perhaps the family member who represented you, even if she does not know of any personal injury lawyers of good reputation herself, knows someone - a collegue, law school classmate, etc. - who can recommed a good personal injury lawyer for you. Whatever you do, interview the lawyer, preferably more than one, and find someone you are comfortable with and have confidence in. Good luck.

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Personal referrals are definitely the best. Assuming you've already been down that route asking people you know and couldn't find anyone, you could try contacting your insurance agent. As an insurance company, they have to deal with personal injury lawsuits all the time, and i'm sure they'll know a number of good lawyers you could check out. Can't promise they'll be real ethical ones, of course.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Mar 21 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]410001[/snapback]</div>
    I've dealt with lawyers three times. Two were personal referals. Both of those were unsatisfactory.

Once, I had been arrested for civil disobedience and would have gone to court without a lawyer, stipulated to the facts, and argued that my act was justified by the immorality of the weapons of indiscriminate mass destruction I was protesting against. I then would have accepted whatever jail or prison time I got. But the cops also arrested some innocent bystanders, and the prosecutor was threatening to charge them. So I called him and offered to plead guilty if he would agree to leave them alone. He agreed, but insisted I have a lawyer at the plea-bargain meeting. The lawyer, recommended by a friend, turned out to be worse than the prosecutor. I got more than I had requested from the prosecutor. All I asked for in return for my guilty plea was that he leave the bystanders alone. But without my asking, he reduced the charges as well. But my lawyer was no help, and just wanted to cut everything short so he could go golfing.

The other time, I went to a lawyer recommended by a friend, to work out some estate planning. He couldn't get anything right. We went through three drafts and there were typos in all of them, as well as factual errors.

I ended up doing my estate planning with a lawyer recommended by my bank. But that doesn't help you because this was a financial matter, which I'd expect a bank to deal with on a regular basis.

I don't know how you select a good lawyer, but recommendations from friends are not necessarily an indication that the lawyer is either competent or ethical.

11. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 22 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]410162[/snapback]</div>
    I know, it's always a crap shoot, ain't it. When I bought my business I worked with a brilliant attorney. I'm not being sarcastic. He was very intelligent. Only thing is that after reading the preliminary draft of the buyout agreement that contained all of the proposed terms it occurred to me that I wasn't sure if the agreement limited my personal liability. I inquired if this is the case and he said no. He didn't even bring this to my attention and had I not known to inquire, I would've assumed significantly more risk than I was truly offering to the seller. Wouldn't you think that this would be germane to your client, enough so that you'd bring it up to them?

He handled my land purchase as well. Though he was intelligent, he had no common sense. He actually called me a week before closing and upped his price for the closing citing that he had saved me significant amounts of money on the potential tax ramifications. He lost my business activity as a result of this. I would've digested the increase a lot more easily had he cited that he had to perform a lot of unexpected work on my behalf.

This was a referral from my brother in law.

I enjoyed reading your first paragraph. I appreciate your passion for a cause and more so that you possess such accountability that you'd put yourself out there to save the innocent people that were affected by your act. I find this quality to be a rare commodity.

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  13. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 22 2007, 10:57 AM) [snapback]410162[/snapback]</div>
    Same here, the first attorney I was referred to was from my brother in law, and this guy turned out to be a real loser. For the record, Dax Jones from The Jones Firm in Bellevue, WA did a very good job for me.

Dave

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Mar 22 2007, 09:58 AM) [snapback]410200[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. People either love me or hate me for what I did.

The problem with lawyers is that it's the only profession where you are required to lie by your professional code of ethics.

"Your honor, my client is innocent..." when the lawyer knows he's guilty, but if the client does not want to plead guilty, and the lawyer say's he's guilty, the lawyer has violated his ethical code.