1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hit a deer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mountainsean, Jun 14, 2007.

1. mountainsean

mountainsean New Member

The other night I was on the way home doing about 50 mph and there was a dead deer in the road. I hit it square on - both front tires and both rear tires ran right over it. The bump wasn't as bad as I anticipated - I was expecting it'd feel like hitting a pothole, but it was "softer". Still, by the time I got home and slowed down, a really yucky smell crept into the cabin (think burnt hair, now think burnt hair + burnt venison). I got out a flashlight and looked under the car, and it was pretty gross. Disgusting really. Anyway, I hosed it all down the next day and ran it through a carwash, and the smell is better but not gone completely. I don't see any leaks under the car. There's still some hair and (eeew) guts stuck to some of the bits underneath. Is there anything specifically I should be concerned with or look for? Worth taking it in to a mechanic? Seems to ride just fine, no alignment or suspension probs that I can tell.

The only weirdness is that the CVT seems to stay revving high even after I let off gas sometimes. Maybe it's always done that and I'm just now noticing? MFD shows 53 mpg and hasn't dropped since the incident.

Should I chalk it up to luck and be on my way?

-Sean

2. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I've no clue, but after an incident like that there very well could be unseen damage. If you're noticing a difference in the motor sounds, you probably would be safe having it checked out at your local dealer. Good luck, you fared better than the deer. :huh: