1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hit a piece of metal, replacing fuel lines

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by paulwall, Feb 19, 2020.

1. paulwall

paulwall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    This is my first post! I'm stoked there is a thriving community to be part of.

So my wife and I are fairly new owners to a 2015 Prius C, and the car unfortunately hit a piece of metal down the highway and sustained some damage to some fuel lines and E-brake.

To keep it short, I just wanted to get this post going for input in-case I'm approaching the repairs incorrectly.

There's damage up front where the lines come down from the engine compartment, and then damage in the rear where the lines engage with the tank and evaporation canister.

Luckily we had some tubing to temp fix the cut fuel line, but it's not a long term fix by any means.

Known damage:
    1. E-Brake cable impacted and it's sheathing cracked, but line not cut.
    2. Primary high-pressure fuel-line cut an leaking near tank, impacted but not leaking up near the transition to the engine compartment.
    3. Evaporation tube impacted but not cut up front near the transition to the engine compartment.
    Solutions:
    1. I'm replacing the E-brake line with a used brake hub assembly I found on eBay, that will be the easiest fix I'm suspecting.
    2. I'll be replacing the entire hi-pressure line, and the flex hose that got cut leading to the tank.
    3. I'm considering just patching this line as I understand it to not be hi-pressure.
    Just looking for general advice here. I'll follow all technician instructions for relieving fuel line pressure and putting the car into necessary repair modes.

Are there any concerns for re-bleeding any of these lines so avoid air getting to the fuel injectors?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SFO and Talha Maqsood like this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very thorough analysis and plan... Many would not of been as thorough... Seems like you take DIY repairs seriously! I'm impressed!

3. John in Vermont

John in Vermont Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The basic rule of maintaining machinery is "If it ain't broke don't fix it." those lines have an outer cover that's designed to take a hit without the function being impaired. I would just seal the cuts with silicone to prevent moisture penetration and leave them alone. The cut line that was leaking should be replaced, though a local patch, not a full line replacement may be all that's needed.

dubit and PriusCamper like this.
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's called peace of mind. If he wants to replaced any parts that he feels that he needs to, he will be better off doing it.

It will keep him from forever thinking if he should have replaced any damaged part for as long as he owns the car.

Looks are not what that may be reality. There may be internal damage on the lines that may not be readily apparent.

Do the complete replacement as you have originally planned. It's worth it.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not the first instance of Prius c having underside cables/conduits damage reported here. Toyota didn't provide adequate protection.

6. paulwall

paulwall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks All. I do want to replace the parts in the car with new ones as it's my wife's primary car. I'd feel different if I was driving it myself.

Does anyone know if there are any precautions I need to take with regards to having air in the new fuel lines prior to use? I couldn't find anything regarding bleeding the fuel lines in the technical literature and wasn't sure if there was just a general best practice for all cars.

I only worry cause I read a post where a Priuc C driver ran his car down to empty and it caused start up issues.

7. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Brake lines did not suffer any damage? i got today into a quite hollow speed bump and scratched the undercarriage, was worried about the brake lines and hybrid battery wire, i looked and apparently there is no damage.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Prius c HV cables under the car are not that well protected as I recall.

9. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    They are not sadly, they are good protected against rain, dirt mud and more, but against solid objects like rocks and metal is very vulnerable. I would be able to tell if there is damage on it, but i took a look and i think is fine. Also do the brake lines also take the same path as the fuel lines? or they are more secure in a more high place?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's such a small version of Prius they had to cut a lot of corners to make everything fit.

Sonic_TH and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. aleyoop

aleyoop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How did you end up sourcing the fuel/brake lines? Junk yard or toyota oem?