1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hit a pothole at 70. Car is in limp mode. Thinking it’s the inverter.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Roadie_, Jul 12, 2024 at 9:11 PM.

1. Roadie_

Roadie_ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2013 - 98k miles

Traveling and couldn’t avoid a massive pothole. Immediately after my dash lit up with every light possible including hybrid battery malfunction.

I limped to a gas station and scanned to receive the following codes

P0A94 - DC to DC converter performance problem - Status Confirmed
    POA7A - Generator Inverter Performance Problem - Status Permanent
    P324E

And two ABS codes
    C1259
    C1310

I had to get it towed as I couldn’t get up to interstate speed. I’ve done some reading and it looks like it could he my inverter. I’ve read mixed messages on Toyota covering this replacement for free if that’s the issue.

I'm guessing the ABS codes are just extras that automatically popped due to the others. I just find it odd as this happened right when I hit a giant pothole at high speeds.

I’ve read low 12V battery could cause issues and mine is original from factory. Car is 2013 so it’s at that time.

Any insight would be great!

#1 Roadie_, Jul 12, 2024 at 9:11 PM
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2024 at 6:11 AM
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    C1259 and C1310 are brake system codes that flat-out mean there are hybrid-system trouble codes, and the hybrid system told the brake system about them. It seems we still need to make that information easier to find here.

"Wire harness or connector" are listed as possible trouble areas for at least several of the INF codes for P0A7A and P0A94. That's the kind of thing I might think of first after hitting a sir charles hole.

In your position, I would want to carefully follow the troubleshooting steps in the P0A7A and P0A94 sections of the repair manual, before deciding the inverter electronics actually went bad.

But you haven't identified your car exactly (though you posted in the gen 3 forum). If you were thinking to look at the PDF copy of the gen 3 repair manual that kind of floats around the web, don't bother, it's completely missing the troubleshooting sections for those two codes. The most you'll find there is the diagnostic trouble code "chart", which just lists all the codes with their INF codes and bulleted lists of what-could-be-the-trouble-area and what lights come on. Half a step up from totally useless.

So I'd have to recommend going to the source for the repair manual for your car, so the troubleshooting sections you need won't be missing.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

3. Roadie_

Roadie_ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry just updated the post. It’s a 2013 and I just hit 98k miles

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Having a look at the underside might reveal something. Was it one side only that took the hit? How’s the wheel?

5. Roadie_

Roadie_ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was driver front only. Looked under, inspected wheels and tires, even CV. No sign of any damage. I limped it for about 10 minutes after warning signs to a gas station.(Tow took an hour so I had plenty of time to scan and inspect everything under the hood and car itself)

I’m hoping it’s just the 12V battery being low voltage, I checked it while I was parked and noticed it was original. Otherwise I’m not sure Toyota would cover the replacement for inverter or pump for free. Also forgot to mention code P324E also popped up with the others. It’s yet another code that Toyota lists as a inverter problem code under their Free inverter warranty replacement

#5 Roadie_, Jul 12, 2024 at 10:53 PM
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2024 at 6:13 AM
  6. Roadie_

Roadie_ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There’s a high voltage cable connecting to the inverter down quite low, just visible through driver’s side wheel well; maybe jarred loose?

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Make certain you are using a scanner that can read the INF codes. Many of the trouble codes reported by a Prius start with the common headers you've already found, but are then followed by an "INFormation detail" which can substantially affect the way you should be troubleshooting any given problem.

Lots of popular scanners and diagnostic apps don't know how to read the extra details.

The Autel AP200 is highly recommended for this.

If you use a good code reader for full access and rent the actual repair manual from the link chapmanf posted you should do okay.

Good luck!

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  9. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What this guy said.