1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hit and run

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BooWilbury, Dec 11, 2006.

1. BooWilbury

BooWilbury New Member

Posting mostly for some sympathy, but need some input and suggestions.

I got hit hard enough in my rear bumper to cause a crack and a crack induced hole, with a deep scrape running along the entire length of the bumper. I was backed into, since I found pieces of the offending vehicle’s red reflector on the ground. My parking brake was on, and it was during a very cold Wisconsin night last week.

I have to pay the deductible for repair. From what I've read on this forum, the majority of you don't have to pay this hit-and-run type of expense, so I'd like to know who you insure with.

My main question is, although the damage seems to be mainly cosmetic to the bumper, I think I have developed a bigger problem. When I drive slowly in stealth mode, I hear a small rolling noise, one that increases/decreases with tire rotation. Something I didn't notice before, but I haven't had my car long enough to know. I can see the eyes rolling from the body shop when I mention this to them when I take it in for repair this week. I mean, nothing seems wrong otherwise, it drives straight and the noise is unnoticeable unless the engine is off. Something so small only a picky new-car owner would hear. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The noise may be just the cracks and hole changing the acoustics of the car, much like the way the sound changes when you drive past a curb with the windows down.

Bummer about the damage.

Tom

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow.

We had a drunk driver do a 3-pt turn on our street and hit our Camry's left side 3 times. We filed for a hit-and-run but that drunk driver apparently confessed and said he knew about the incident. Ok.. sure. First time I've known a drunk person that actually knew what happened.

We only paid the deductible. Two doors can be very expensive.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Dec 11 2006, 11:01 AM) [snapback]360460[/snapback]</div>
    You should not have had to pay anything. If another person damages your car, and it's his fault, he or his insurance should pay 100%.

5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This weekend, a last-minute freeway exiter completely scraped the left side of my Insight, so I definitely know your feeling. He was going 20-30mph faster and never stopped.

The more obvious lesson for me is to watch the rear view mirror. It was also in a bad area Sat night.

The not so obvious lesson is file a Police Report - you only have 24 hours.

Just after my window to file had expired, an experienced officer explained that a Police Report will give you a better case with your insurance company you were not at fault. Fortunately, State Farm did not rule against me.

6. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BooWilbury @ Dec 11 2006, 02:16 AM) [snapback]360277[/snapback]</div>
    Ouch. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I agree with others that the change in sound is likely just acoustic-related with the damage.

I can definitely sympathize - the back bumper on my poor Prius has been through the wringer since I got her in April, starting with a license plate "tattoo" at the ripe old age of two days.

Then, I was victim of parking lot hit & run at 10 weeks old (driver corner, lost about 6" scrape of paint but plastic bumper cover otherwise intact).

And most recently (early November), some jackass tried to aggressively cut in behind me in rush hour traffic - in the rain, as traffic was slowing - and skidded and tapped me from behind. Fortunately (?), with no more damage besides a slight scuff in the paint (that may come out completely with waxing?), that even the body shop said is not worth the cost/effort of repainting.

Of course, the idea crossed my mind of nailing this moron for the previous tattoo in the bumper (he hit the same spot!), but even that was barely noticeable, so getting this low-life punk in a beater to pay for anything would be a pretty hard case to sell.

All of which add up to damage "not worth fixing". <_< I keep telling myself I will wait until some idiot REALLY takes out my bumper and just get it permanently fixed/replaced then. (I'm sure it's only a matter of time - my last car was hit 4 times in less than 2 years - on each occasion the car was parked!)

To top things off, I got my first door ding on Sunday, a deep one right down to the primer. :angry:

If it's any "consolation", at least your car will be fixed and will look like new again when done.

I really wonder where some people get their driver's licenses sometimes... <sigh>

(Sorry for the long post and going a bit off track... I just had to vent, I guess...) ;)