1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hit Pothole! Waaaaaaaaa!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by m2dougherty, Dec 6, 2010.

1. m2dougherty

m2dougherty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This evening in the dark I hit a pothole. I did not see it. It is a busy 3 lane road. Kind husband as changed my tire. The rim has a big dent in it and the tire is all ripped up.

Dare I ask, how much anew tire and rim for a 2008 Prius is going to cost?

We looked underneath the car and the other parts seem ok.

I hope to get it looked at tomorrow.

Any advic will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Michele

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You will probably want to have a wheel alignment, just to insure nothing is bent on the suspension. Must have been a nasty pothole! H

3. m2dougherty

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We have not gone to look at it as it is very cold and windy tonight besides being very dark. I will check it out tomorrow when it is light. It is located near the Toyota dealership and a tire place.

Perhaps I should take some photos of it.

I apologize for my typos. We have a new keyboard and it has an odd response to my typing style.

I am also wondering whether to seek repair at Atlantic Toyota or the Sullivan tire place.

I had an argument with Atlantic Toyota the last time I was there.
    When I had my oil change and a tire rotation I alo had a wheel alignment. They never check the tire pressure. I can tell whether or not the tires have been rotated by checking the pressure when I get home. We have our own air compresser. I follow the priuschat advice of using higher pressure than the plate on the car calls for. Usually when I get ome from a tire rotation I can tell that they roated the tires but did not check or change the pressure. I have to correct the front and back pressure myself but with ur own compresser in the garage it is no biggie.

I went back and got a refund for the alignment as the tires had not been moved according to the pressure in them. Either they had not rotated the tires or they rotated them twice if you follow me.
    The same technician did all of the work so he should know. they did not call him but simply refunded the cost of the alignment. I had to talk to the manager to get the refund.

I do not trust them now.

Michele

4. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    uhh the rim can be pretty expensive... I think a replacement alloy rim is like 400$... so you'll probably want to find a used one. Perhaps steve over at autobeyours.com can give you a good price on a used one?

A new tire will also set you back about 100$.

5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    m2dougherty,

There are companies that specialize in straightening alloy rims that aren't
    cracked/chipped. Haven't used them, so I can't say on the cost. Should be
    cheaper than a new one.

Just google "rim repair" and the name of a nearby largish city to find
    some near you.

Hope this helps.

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

This is another reason to run your tires at 42/40 or maybe a little higher.....

7. m2dougherty

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I run them at that pressure.

Michele

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can buy a new alloy wheel for $284 plus shipping here (MSRP is $374):
    Champion ToyotaWorld

You probably also need a trim ring to go with the wheel.

I personally would not buy a used wheel, realizing it came off a vehicle that was hit hard enough to be salvaged - since your safety depends upon its structural integrity.

9. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    People replace their stock wheels and sell them, often they're basically brand new. Sometimes for sale right here on PC. Check eBay too.
    And when you do get the new wheel and tire DEFINITELY get the alignment checked and fixed. There's a Town Fair Tire near you in Everett that could take care of it all.

- D

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Time for some hawt new rims.

A year ago I hit a pothole on an offramp coming home from work.

Didn't take my rim but costed me $180 for a new tire (stock Bridgestone Turanza) for sidewall damage. The worst part was that I never take that exit, and I was debating whether I should minutes before it happened.

11. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Every car runs on used parts." Get a used wheel from a salvage yard. I got one for $60. It's aluminum, super easy to visually inspect for dents or damage. Salvage yards throw their damaged wheels into the aluminum recycle bin anyway.

car-part.com is easy to use to find a wheel in your area. In less than 5 minutes you'll find price, location and phone numbers. Ask for one that's super clean. Take that to your tire shop, get a new tire and a new alignment. You're done.

12. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You can get a new OEM aluminum rim over the Internet through a Toyota dealer for about $300. You can also try walking to a Toyota dealer and showing them the Internet price and negotiate, as otherwise they probably wouldn't give you a good deal.

I personally would never buy a used rim but that depends on how much you respect your car. Used rims might have a lot of issues.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True, but not all cars run on parts that have been through a severe accident.

Some people think nothing of installing airbags that have been salvaged or (even worse) installing a resistor so that the SRS ECU thinks the non-existent airbag is present. Others see no problem buying and driving a salvage vehicle. I personally would avoid those practices.

In any event, if you are comfortable with driving a car equipped with such parts, then peace.

14. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I have used salvaged and re-manufactured parts many times in my repairs of my cars over the years with few problems (new parts can also be faulty). I regularly get rims to replace the doughnut that comes with new cars (I like a real spare tire - when it fits in the trunk). The ones you get from a salvage yard often comes with a usable tire already on it so all you need to do is to get it balanced for about $10.

JeffD

15. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with Mr. Wong here. I have a coworker who sits near me and he brags about what a great deal he got on used tires. Says he doesn't care about their history.

16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1, you just need to use a little sense. A used rim that shows no sign of damage, corrosion or repairs is good. I wouldn't use an aluminum rim that had more than minor cosmetic repairs, even if it came off of my own car.

For a used rim/tire combination for a spare I would have the tire shop take the tire off and inspect the inside for too many repairs or signs of having been run flat.

17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    From my FWD Corolla 1985 Owner's Manual, from the times when Toyota used to be cool:

"If you have wheel damage such as bends, cracks, or heavy corrosion, the wheel should be replaced.

Replacement with used wheels is not recommended as they may have been subjected to rough treatment or high mileage and could fail without warning. Also, bent wheels which have been straightened may have structural damage and therefore should not be used."

Just pay the $300 and get a new OEM rim. ;)

18. m2dougherty

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I will get a new rim and tire. A sales manager from Atlantic saw my post here and has offered to broker a discount for me. I appreciate his help. I went to the dealership anyway as I was concerned about other possible damage under the car and want it to be checked out. It looks ok to my husband and me.

We are thinking that I may have run over an improperly replaced manhole cover. They have been doing utility work all over that stretch of road. I am thinking of calling the police to ask whether anyone reported a similar problem that evening.

My husband thinks that my front tire may have flipped a cover up and then it hit my rear wheel. There is a deep divot on the inside surface of the rim. There was quite a racket when whatever happened, happened. I moved of a fair distance to find a safe place to pull over and did not really go looking for the spot as it was dark and there was a lot of traffic. You would think though that a misplaced cover would have given someone else trouble as well.

Later on that evening we went over that stretch of road several times and did not find any deep potholes.

Thanks to all for your advice,

Michele

19. m2dougherty

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Update on my damaged rim and tire. The sales manager who offered to get me a discount on the needed parts has done so. I really appreciate it.

I asked for an alignment to be done. While the work was taking place the technician noticed that a large bolt is missing from the rear "beam" of the car on the right side just forward of my damaged rim.
    They did not have the proper bolt and expect to have it tomorrow.

I got down on the ground to look. It seems as though it was sheared off along with the nut.

Now we were rear ended in this car about a year and a half ago. I wonder whether the bolt was weakened then and gave way the other night. Or I may still have made contact with something in the street that sheared it off.

Michele

20. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably some metal debris on the road from a truck in front of you. Not a good thing to happen to a driver. Could have caused a serious accident. You must be a alert driver?:p Your comprehensive insurance should cover this kind of incident, will it not? H