1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hit & Run Rear Bumper Replacement Help - Recon OEM or New Aftermarket?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Going Greener, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Going Greener

Going Greener Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    5 years, and the in-excellent-condition rear bumper got hit & run when our car was parked :eek::cry:. Luckily, we captured it on surveillance and hope the other party's insurance will assume liability.

When I went to get some shop estimates (per my insurance, but prior to the other party's insurance giving me instructions for their inspection), the shops wrote up a reconditioned 2010 OEM bumper part. Then, when appt was set up, I went to the other party's insurance adjuster & he wrote up & recommended a brand new after-market manufacturer-approved bumper. This brand new one is supposedly preferred for a 5 year old car & warrantied for life. The reconditioned one will not be. On the written estimates by the shops, the reconditioned bumper part is listed at higher cost than the brand new after-market one. Both requires painting & clear-coating.

I'm wondering which would be best. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Neither. Brand new OEM bumper. Let your insurance company advocate for you and duke it out with the other company.

Going Greener and Okinawa like this.
  3. Going Greener

Going Greener Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^^ Thanks! Usually prefer OEM. One shop said a $100 difference between reconditioned & new. That doesn't seem like much, but $100 can definitely be enjoyed kept in our pocket when it wasn't our fault!

Since shop estimates didn't put a new non-OEM, I wonder if they didn't think it was as good or if the insurance would not cover any "new" one. The lifetime warranty on new non-OEM sounds good though.