1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hit while parked in a line of cars; engine damage?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cressmanmusic, May 25, 2019.

1. cressmanmusic

cressmanmusic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was 3rd in a line of parked cars--(parked along a road one behind the other) all originally 2 feet or so apart. A driver lost control and hit the first car, a Tesla (totaled it) which sent it into the Mini Cooper in front of it, which hit my 2010 Prius from behind, forcing my car into a Honda Civic in front of my Prius. The front 3 cars ended up kissing bumpers, having been thrown forward by the impact. There is bumper damage to my car on both ends, and the at fault driver's insurance has accepted fault. My question is this: is there any possible damage to transmission (that might show up in the future) or parking brake considering the car was forced forwards several feet while in Park with the brake on? I haven't gotten a chance to take it to my mechanic yet. Body shop says they can't diagnose that kind of damage. I live in San Francisco so parking break and Park are extremely important considering the hills I drive over and park on every day... Anyone know if this is a potential motor/mechanical problem? Trying to decide whether to accept the settlement for the body work alone or take it in to the mechanic.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bummer!
    is there a picture?

Prieth and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If "your mechanic" is not, have the car evaluated by Toyota Dealership. Insurance Companies are sticklers about "qualified".

4. cressmanmusic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No picture of the whole mess, it was at night...sadly the car that hit us was also a Prius and her air bags deployed... So the "Trouble Codes" -- are those something only a mechanic can see? There are no indicator lights on visible on the dash. Is the 12v. health something I can see an indication also?

bisco likes this.
  5. cressmanmusic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the heads up--my mechanic is a shop that specializes in Priuses (or is Prii the plural LOL).

bisco likes this.
  6. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think you'd have any engine/transmission issues with the car ye, considering that the impact, did not result to the loss of coolants, or transmission system fluid from the front area of the car.
    Is there any signs of fluid leaks you've noticed at the front end of the car? If no, then I'd think its just the numbers, and probably the AC system condenser/hose that maybe impacted.
    Overall, get your mechanic to check the car out.

PS:
    I suspect some part of the suspension systems(tie rods, bent shocks, etc) might have being impacted as well.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The average parking pawl (the actual mechanical lock that holds the drive axles) can handle some significant abuse before it breaks. I don't know that the Prius is anything unusual- we probably would have heard about it by now if it wasn't up to scratch.

It's a very simple mechanical device, so it either works or it's broken. You'd know right away, not much need for a mechanic to get involved.

Cars get dragged all the time for recovery operations, the parts are built to handle it.

Data Daedalus and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Speaking as a career Mechanic, married to a woman who's career is Insurance...the wiser course is to have the vehicle thuroughly checked out...especially when the other party's insurance is paying the bills.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my opinion, if you have impact damage, there's the possibility of damage almost anywhere and everywhere. Especially if you are impacted from both the front and the back. That's just kind of the nature of force and shock waves.
    Having said that?
    No way to tell over the internet, or even with pictures. You need a competent professional to evaluate.
    And yes, they should be looking at EVERYTHING.

Don't quite get a bodyshop that is saying they can't evaluate for that kind of damage. But since this accident was not your fault, I'd say if you want a mechanic or Toyota Repair Facility to check out the vehicle in totality? You deserve it.

I was rear ended once in my old Honda Fit. Very little damage, but I wanted the vehicle checked out entirely. It was almost brand new. The insurance DID pay for the check out. But I had to lobby very hard, to get the Honda repair facility to even take a look. Their attitude was that if I wasn't getting a code, there was no problem. Which I felt was ridiculous. I wanted at least a visual inspection, to look for anything that looked out of place, hoses knocked loose, any new leaks..etc, etc.

So I would imagine you'd meet similar resistance. The attitude sometimes is...repair what we see, and know...assume everything else is OK. I don't like this attitude. But you may be forced to get your vehicle repaired and then just see how transmission seems to be doing, your parking brake, etc.

Usually good body shops are good at spotting or knowing where damage has occurred. There is good chance, I would speculate that things can be repaired, hopefully no frame damage.
    I can maybe understand a body shop saying they don't do transmission work, but they should be able to at least evaluate whether it looks like there might be any damage to that area.
    Also I can't believe they can't check the handbrake. What if a vehicle does come in with direct body damage that has affected the hand brake? Do they just refuse to do the repair?
    Don't particularly like the attitude of your body shop.

Good Luck.

PS.
    In my case the bumper...very minimal damage, was repaired and I never noticed any further problem.
    PS. PS.
    There is a body shop in my local area that runs a lot of advertising on the radio. One of there big tag lines is " We repair your vehicle to Pre-Loss Condition".
    So I don't particularly like a bodyshop that seems to be ONLY evaluating what they want to evaluate.
    I do think you should have the vehicle checked out as best as possible in whole.

kevin.c and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all you can do is drive it when they're finished repairing. if it sounds and feels good to you and your mech, i wouldn't worry about it.
    ask the insurance company about diminished value.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't understand why this is a hard decision at all.
    The "at fault" party (or insurance company) should PAY for the mechanical diagnosis and you should INSIST on having that done.

Alas, it might not be possible to detect any hidden damage without spending a LOT of time and money........so you might be paying for an educated guess.

12. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Which is quite different than a sudden impact.

13. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Photo would help.

Parking brake system is probably fine....braking brake was on thereby negating impact forces to the trans park gear.

IMO it is chassis/ suspension and engine/ trans/ component mounting that could be the issue.
    Frame needs to be measured as an inspection.
    A quick visual by an owner could be to look at all the door, hood etc. gaps remain unchanged and the roof panel for metal surface waves.

Maybe an insurance expert can chime it, yet I think if you take a settlement check that ends any future claims.
    Bosco is correct about Diminished Value and let us know how you fight for that goes.

Good luck.

14. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    A driver lost control and hit the first car, a Tesla (totaled it) which sent it into the Mini Cooper in front of it, which hit my 2010 Prius from behind, forcing my car into a Honda Civic in front of my Prius.

...sadly the car that hit us was also a Prius and her air bags deployed...

Can you clarify, please? Just for the record...

Data Daedalus likes this.
  15. cressmanmusic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To clarify: The car that caused the accident was a Prius; it hit the Tesla which hit the next car and so forth. I was just mentioning that the offending car was a Prius and its airbags deployed, and the driver was fine. The rest of the cars were parked and unoccupied.

Data Daedalus and RRxing like this.
  16. cressmanmusic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks everyone for some very good suggestions. The insurance agent has gone AWOL after sending me a check that would only cover half of the body work(which I have not cashed); so I'm going back to my insurance company to have them step in and get more forceful. I plan to have the engine checked out this week.

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's scary and challenging.
    My Dad was in a wreck with his Rav4.
    He took it to a Body Shop that was recommended to him.
    It was bad right out of the gate. When he went to pick the vehicle up, it looked great. The bodywork looked fine...BUT...
    the back-up camera well it wasn't working, unknown to him at the time, because it was totally missing, the infotainment center wasn't right....when he first started it up, he got several dash lights. He had to take it back several times.
    They had the audacity to be annoyed at him, when he noticed that his vehicle that DID have a back-up camera, came back to him without one.

My Dads retired, and basically uses the vehicle for shorter urban trips, So really? I don't think he cares too much. He kept taking it back until he could start it without dash lights and warnings. They "found" his back-up camera and re-installed it. It works, and drives, but he doesn't really put too much of a test on it every year. IMO they did a crappy job, and their inattention to detail would make me question the quality of even the work that looks good.

Anyway, the moral of the story is a GOOD body shop is a valuable thing.
    I'm not sure the best way to find one....as internet reviews can cover the whole gambit. As my Dad found out...personal recommendations of friends and family can also lead astray.

I kind of hope if I'm in a wreck.
    A. Nobody is Hurt.
    B. If the damage to my vehicle is at all significant, they simply total it.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The other parties Insurance adjuster can not go AWOL. There is always someone to cover "their" desk/work load when say they are on vacation, medical leave or what ever.

The check you have should just be the initial...and initial estimates are usually "adjusted" once open up and work begins...and usually paid directly to the repair vendors. Verify that the mechanicals/electricals are being checked in conjunction with the body work. Seldom does one shop ever do both.