1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hitachi enters hybrid battery venture

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Jun 30, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hitachi enters hybrid battery venture

Partnership aims to tap lithium-ion batteries that allow for smaller, lighter products.

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Hitachi Ltd., Hitachi Maxell Ltd. and Shin-Kobe Electric Machinery Co. Ltd. said Wednesday they had formed a joint venture to make rechargeable lithium-ion batteries for hybrid cars.

The venture, aimed at tapping into the growing market for hybrid vehicles and valued at ¥1.5 billion, or $13.86 million, is owned 43.7 percent by Shin-Kobe, 36.7 percent by Hitachi (HIT: Research, Estimates) and 19.6 percent by Hitachi Maxell.

Nickel metal-hydride batteries are currently used widely for hybrid cars, such as Toyota Motor Corp.'s Prius, but lithium-ion batteries have a higher energy density, making it possible to manufacture smaller and lighter products, said a spokesman at Hitachi, Japan's largest electronics conglomerate.

Read full article here.

Jeff

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I thought that one of the reasons that Ni Metal Hydride was choses because it is more eco-friendly than Li? Getting rid of Lithium is more difficult.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Geez, I've got visions of meth manufacturers out there steeling Prii for the Li batteries to make their meth!! I need some time off work...