1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hitch or roof rack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ANTEBUS, Jul 23, 2005.

1. ANTEBUS

ANTEBUS New Member

Has anyone installed a hitch on their Prius, only to carry a bike not to tow! Or has anyone installed a roof rack? I'd like some ideas or product suggestions, please.

2. ifogel

ifogel New Member

I have the Thule Roof Rack on my Prius with the Criterium Upright Bike Carrier. The Thule bike carrier makes it really easy to just put my bike on top of the car and go.

It does take a hit on MPG but since cycling is my favorite thing to do I don't sweat the small stuff - a few less miles per gallon. I used to get around 50 MPG. With the rack only (no bike) I get around 42 MPG. With a couple of bikes on top I'm down to 38 MPG - that's summer driving with AC on short rides close to my Manhattan home and usually riding up and down the hills of the New Jersey Palisades..

I am quite happy paying for the extra gas for the convenience of having the roof rack.