1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hitch Receiver Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by richandliz, Jul 5, 2010.

1. richandliz

richandliz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello All,

New to Prius Chat and have found it full of great information.

I am looking at installing a hitch receiver on the back of our 2007 Prius. I was looking at a 2" receiver because everything I have is already 2". Did find one brand with a 2", all others have the 1 1/4" receiver, which I know I can buy the adapter. Both would be about the same cost after getting the adapter as well.

Tried holding the rack up behind the Prius and it seems like it could be close for opening the hatch without removal, all depending on how much the receiver is under or sticking out of the bumper.

I would love to get measurements of how much the receiver of both 2" and 1 1/4" stick behind or out from the bumper. Actually the hole for the hitch pin would be more accurate.

It may be worthwhile getting the extension to open the hatch with tilting bikes. Please give me the brand of your rack as well.

The only 2" I can currently find is by 'Quality S'. Rest are all 1 1/4" (Curt, Hidden Hitch, Draw-Tite...).

Mostly want for the bike rack which is only about 15 lbs (light) and the bikes are under 30lbs each also (3max). I do have other attachments but am not planning on them at this time.

Thanks for all your wisdom!!!

2. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a Curt hitch with a 1 1/4" receiver. The aft end of the receiver sticks out 0.027" aft of the rearmost point of the bumper cover, and is 1.779" from the aft side of the hitchpin hole. I can open the hatch OK with two bikes mounted on a Sportrack carrier, which I'd love to sell, btw.