1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hmm... Emissions testing in BC to end in 2006?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by DaveG, Nov 19, 2004.

1. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmm... Just read an interesting article on the CBC (Link to CBC Article):

"An independent review of AirCare says the emissions tests are doing their job – and recommends extending the program for seven more years. Despite the positive report, the chair of the TransLink board says he's not interested in renewing the program after it expires in 2006."

Interesting. As a Prius owner, I have certian issues with the current emissions-testing format, namely that it's not necessary for new cars such as the Prius that will basically light up like an xmas tree if there are any problems with the vehicle's systems (including emissions). But I'd like it to continue for older vehicles that produce the most pollution.

Rather than just ending the program, perhaps they should specify that only cars older than 1998 need testing, and when the percentage of licensed cars that meets that testing criteria drops below 25%, end the program entirely.

Dave

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here. Although the problem is that I've heard there are ways to pass AirCare and those people would do whatever that may be for that one day on which they have the AirCare inspection and on the other 364 days, pollute like there's no tomorrow. I like your idea of 1998 or older vehicles, although remember that new cars don't have to take it for the first 3 years. Don't tell me Translink is so busy "improving" our bus system that it has no interest in sustaining the AirCare program.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I think that the last of the carburetors was used in 92-3 and that should be the cut off. A simple IM test would suffice for cars newer than that. In my opinion the diesel is a far bigger polluter here on the mainland than all of the cars on the road, and I mean all of the diesel powered machines cars, trucks, vans, trains, planes etc. and there is no real testing of them, other than a tailpipe probe to test for opacity. Where is the NOx testing and the HC and CO testing? TransLink is as evil as any in that respect as they got an exemption for the use of Number2 diesel/heating oil use in the transit buses. Ever followed one of those pieces of s**t down the road, you have to wash your car after a couple of blocks from all the soot coming out of them. It's done to "save money". screw your lungs you low life.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The day Translink buys those diesel-hybrid buses that Seattle uses, is the day I will try to accept Translink as our regional transit system. Ever see two empty 98 B-Lines follow one after the other in the evening. What a waste!

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

or go by the bus barn on Charles in the morning and choke on the fumes. Diesel sucks. Ya ya I know I work on a fleet with 23 of them. Funny how fuel is more expensive than gas. We install scrubbers on a lot of equipement that is sold to the water front and has union operators who don't want to breath the soot. If you can't operate one underground with out a scrubber why should you be able to above ground?