1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hoaxs & Scams & Identity Theft, CC skimmers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Sep 18, 2006.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great list, PG04! One site I check out regularly for hoax/urban legend type stuff is http://www.snopes.com. They break things out by category.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    PG04, Thank you for the list. This is great info.

I've explained to others before that I am stubborn when it comes to making threads 'sticky' but I suggest that everyone click the [Options] button in the top-right and the "track this topic." You can choose to subscribe with no notification of new posts. This way, when you go to your Control Panel and in the Subscriptions section click "view topics", you will have this list available without having to dig for it.

4. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Fabulous...I copied and pasted to send the list to my friends then moved a copy to my mail folders to keep.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 18 2006, 07:05 PM) [snapback]321455[/snapback]</div>
    Are you also equally stubborn when it comes to making threads 'UN-sticky' ??

Sticky: Words for today hasn't had a new entry since 19th June 2006 - 01:56 PM
    http://priuschat.com/Fred-s-House-of-Pancakes-f3.html

It looks like people either ran out of words, interest, or filled their brains with too many new words. :lol:

6. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 18 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]321455[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Sep 18 2006, 11:12 PM) [snapback]321492[/snapback]</div>
    How about un-sticking the "Words for Today" and sticking PG04's list in its place?

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
    Experian (formerly TRW):1-888-397-3742
    Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289
    Social Security Administration (fraud line):1-800-269-0271

Or as Hybridthevibe has pointed out.
    http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/credit.htm :)

8. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Sep 19 2006, 06:08 AM) [snapback]321543[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/credit.htm

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Sep 18 2006, 10:12 PM) [snapback]321492[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: I will give you one guess as to who didn't sticky those. I'll hustle over and clean 'em up.
    I almost exclusively use the "view all new posts" search so I don't know what's sticky and what's not. Thanks.

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Identity theft is one of the biggest crimes being comitted at this time. Ive had reportedly the bad guys will even go into your mail box and take those credit card junk mails and reply in your name using a cable bill of phone bill for the nessassary personal information. Use the new card to the limit and guess whos left holding the bill? Until you can prove it wasn't you... <_<

there was a woman that had her power, water & phone shut off because someone stole her identity and closed all accounts & emptied her bank account. before she could act on it... :(

11. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Sep 18 2006, 06:31 PM) [snapback]321381[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for these. But there should be a warning on this package of links:

WARNING: THESE LINKS ARE ADDICTIVE

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Sep 19 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]321813[/snapback]</div>

:lol: :lol: :lol: "Oxo",

Now for something totally SCARY.. :blink: :eek:

I have done reports in the past regargding credit card skimming as it has becomes more prevelent. Say you hand your creditcard to the waiter / waitress at your favorite resturant & you expect to pay for your meal right, or you buy something at a department store. But sometimes that's not all you're paying for. :unsure:

Example: :huh:
    Skimmers are as small as a typical pager and can be easily conceled and caried. This makes it extremely easy for a theif to capture your acount information. The typical example of this would be in a restaurant. You give your waiter/waitress the creditcard and they go to a out of site area to process the sale. A crooked employee could then take your card and swipe it through their own personal skimmer and capture your account information & copy it to a blank card. The typical storage space on a handheld skimmer would hold approximately 100 account numbers.

Another way you can protect your self is instead of signing the back of your creditcard, simply write "SEE I.D." on the back instead.

I really hate to see people fall victim to these types of crimes! :angry:

For more info please see the links below. ;)

Where you can report it & check fraud info:
    http://www.ckfraud.org/

ATM Skimmers:
    http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/atmcamera.asp

More info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_card_fraud

How they do it:
    http://idtheft.about.com/od/methodsofthef1/p/Skimming.htm

13. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Sep 19 2006, 05:24 PM) [snapback]321909[/snapback]</div>
    Here you don't sign the bill, you enter a PIN secretly in a little gadget handed to you by the waiter. I don't know if this makes 'skimming' redundant. I doubt if the PIN is picked up by the skimmer.

(PIN=personal identity number)

14. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Sep 20 2006, 06:02 AM) [snapback]322151[/snapback]</div>
    I belive its programmed into the strip.?.. :mellow:

Becides here they will ask you debit or credit (debit requires a PIN) (Credit can be your zip code or nothing at all). :(

15. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I used to work for a company that produced live credit cards and I wrote informational technical documents about our products - including the 30-mil credit card with mag strip. That was a few years. I have my documents at home; I'll try to remember to look it up.

Unless things have changed recently:
    There are three tracks on the standard credit card. One is used for storing information such as for debit cards that hold a balance, one is used to store information about the card itself such as the number of the credit card and the other was designed to be used by automated teller machines.

Track one holds the card number, the expiration date, and I think the card holder's name.

Track two would be for the read/write ability of a debit card potentially changing balances. If you've bought a gift certificate card from a restaurant, for example, you have seem them take a blank card and swipe it to "charge" it. This act writes to the card, storing the value. Because it doesn't hold much information, I want to say that this track has a lower bit-count than the other two. (like I said, it's been years since I worked with these things)

Track three was originally intended for doing business with ATMs. The thing is, the original plan for ATMs didn't have them all networked together, connecting to a customer database. So the original plan was to allow the user to carry their card, ID, and password with them since there was no way to verify with the bank. Think about it, without access to the bank, the only way to verify the account/password connection is to have them both on the card. And if you changed your password, it would overwrite the old one on the card. However, ATMs were interconnected very quickly after they became popular and the use of track three quickly fell. If there's something on track three, I certianly don't know what it is.

Probably more information than you ever needed to know about the three tracks on a credit/debit card. But there you have it.

BTW, this information is compliments of my shotty memory. If anything is wrong, I blame everyone else. :D

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    writing "see id" on the back of a credit or debit card is futile at best. i did it, and have been asked maybe 1/10 of the time since.

yeah, helpful when the clerks actually ask for your id.

and when i was one of those retail clerks, and someone wrote "see id" and i had the gall to actually ask for one... the person would get all POd at me. Wth?

17. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Two other tips to help make you a little more secure:

Do not use a debit card, use credit cards. If someone steals your debit card they empty out your checking account and you have to prove it wasn't you. You most likely will eventually get your money back if you have a good bank, but a lot of checks could bounce in the mean time. Very embarrassing and it's up to you to explain to everyone who got a bad check from you why it happened. If you have a credit card stolen you might be responsible for $50, most likely nothing. If you want a card for ATMs don't get a debit card, get a dedicated ATM card from your bank that can only be used in ATMs.

If you ever have your identity stolen keep a copy of the police report with you at all times. People have actually ended up in jail because they could not prove they were the victim instead of the thief.

18. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 20 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]322301[/snapback]</div>
    Wow Tony, I didnt know about the three lines of info! :eek: Thanks for the info, really :)
    I didnt want that to sound smart alecy, really thanks I've been enlightend B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 20 2006, 04:20 PM) [snapback]322422[/snapback]</div>
    I know Ive been there done that, guilty! but the clerk said it was to protect me from someone becides me from using the card... I wasn't Pod then....

When the clerks dont ask for the ID I ask them why? they seem suprised