1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hold on or move on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wishes, Jun 2, 2006.

1. wishes

wishes New Member

I've been waiting 3 months for my Black pkg 5 Prius and someone else has been waiting about 4 weeks before me for the same exact car. My salesman says they put in their request and Toyota just hasn't been sending them the car we want. I believe him, but at this point I'm starting to get a bit impatient. They are a premiere dealership, but for some reason my ship just has not been coming in.

Currently I have a deal for about 1300 below MSRP. I've been thinking of just calling every dealer in the tristate (and beyond) area and asking them if a)they have the car I want and B ) they'd be willing to give it to me for at least the same price.

With gas prices being what they are, what do you think are the odds of getting such a discount at another dealer? Should I just stick with the original dealership and hope and pray my car comes soon?

2. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

What city are you at?

3. wishes

wishes New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ Jun 2 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]264887[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, sorry. I'm in Central NJ

4. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

$1300 off MSRP is (rough guess) in the top 2% of Prius discounts---in other words, an exceptional price. It'll be difficult to match calling around. Most dealers won't even talk discount, or possibly only offer a "token" one (e.g., $300 off) over the phone on someone's first call.

So it depends how badly you want one. If you're willing to pay close to MSRP, call around. Have you specifically asked your dealer if they will do a dealer swap for you? That way they (and you) don't HAVE to wait for your exact car tyo be "allocated". Any dealer CAN do a swap, but many won't bother. You'll read here sometimes about the more aggressive ones that will---most recently the one in Yakima, WA.

"Premiere" or not, your dealer is not trying very hard for you.

Have you input your specs into any of the online "finders/brokers"?

5. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought my car 'off the lot' in April at the Toyota dealer in Green Brook, NJ, because I had totalled my old car. Of the dealers in the Central NJ area, I found that the dealer in Langhorne, PA (Team Toyota, I believe) were excellent to deal with - especially Elaine in the Internet sales department. I intended to buy a Prius from them, negotiated an excellent price, but they called back 30 minutes later to say that, unfortunately, the car was sold - there wias a sign in the window, but it hadn't shown as sold on the computer. BTW, Town Toyota was the only one I found in the 30 mile radius where I looked that actually had their inventory posted on their web site - some others had options to search their inventory but didn't show VIN numbers, so they didn't really have the cars 'on the lot'.

I got my car at Crystal in Green Brook that night. The dealer in Langhorne called me the next morning to say that the car I had wanted WAS available, after all - the computer was right, it wasn't sold - somebody had forgotten to take the sign off it when another customer decided on a different Prius.

I've also heard good reports about another Bucks County dealer...near Trevose, I think...and a dealer near Phillipsburg or Easton.

So it's worth calling around. I had a bad experience with the salesman at the dealer in Woodbridge - he kept trying to sell me a 2007 Camry and wouldn't let me test drive some of the models I had come in to test drive. I talked with the dealer in Flemington, but they had mostly packages 7 and 8, and I wanted anything from 3 through 6 - we never even talked price.

Good luck!
    Good luck!

6. wishes

wishes New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Jun 2 2006, 11:14 PM) [snapback]265007[/snapback]</div>
    I also had a bad experience with the dealer in woodbridge. Believe it or not, I HAD the car I wanted and at 1000 below MSRP. Long story short: at the moment I seemed hesitant about signing the non-refundable contract and closing the deal, they were so rude with me that I didn't even want to buy the car from them (the whole story is under the order tracking forum).. :/

I'll try calling other dealers to see who's willing to make a deal with me (even over the phone). I'll also try contacting my current dealer and seeing why they can't swap (he told me because other dealers don't want to let go of the cars that they can sell....but I'm sure if THEY have a car the other wants...).

Thanks for the advice, all! :)

7. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

My suspicious nature is.... they are better dealing your car. With gas prices the way they are, I can see them selling to a better current price and 'gee, your car still hasn't come in'. They can keep selling the car you should have at a higher price.. but then again, that's just me.

8. wishes

wishes New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Catskillguy @ Jun 3 2006, 08:09 AM) [snapback]265101[/snapback]</div>
    I've thought the same thing, believe me. I even spoke to the manager and asked him whether, if my car came in, if it would be sold to someone else willing to pay higher. He reassured me that because of the high competition, no salesman would want anyone else to sell their car, and other dealers may do that, but he doesn't. :/

9. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wishes @ Jun 3 2006, 04:08 PM) [snapback]265231[/snapback]</div>
    ... and you believe this car dealer ... why?

Let them know you are looking around at other dealerships. In central NJ there are lots of options, time to move on.

10. wishes

wishes New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ Jun 3 2006, 04:42 PM) [snapback]265237[/snapback]</div>
    I know not to trust car dealers, but I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. I e-mail my salesman weekly and he's tried (several times) to get me to choose a different color, which is the main reason I've been waiting so long (which I believe, black is a rare color). If I had settled for a different color (he had one in red the last time I spoke with him), I would have had my car by now.

Still, I'll shop around and see if I can't find my car at a decent price.

11. wishes

wishes New Member

:( Sigh

I went on the internet last week and started "applying" to every car dealer I could find, from NJ to PA. Many said they go for straigh MSRP and that there was a waiting list.

My dealer called me and told me that there was a pkg 5 coming in this Saturday, but it was a Silver. AAAAH! My least favorite color. :/

Green Brook dealer called me and I spoke to the salesman who was very nice. Told him I'd even consider a magnetic grey and he said he had one coming in and had one that was a rental. Told him I'd consider renting it for a few days just to get a better feel for it. He said he'd even give it to me for an extended test drive and let me take it home (ooo!). He told me they're all about customer service and that if I walk out without a deal, it's ok. He also said he'd call me Thursday afternoon.

Still no word back from him. :(

Looks like I continue to wait. :/