1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Holding steady at 52-53mpg even in 30-40deg temps.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Dec 16, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As some of you know I decided to swap my 17" rim/tire combo back to stock to test out the MPG difference. I had the 17s on the car for over a year and at first it didn't seem like there was much of a MPG difference but after awhile I could not seem to get better than 44mpg in the winter and 47mpg in the summer. I've never seen really great milage in this car so I assumed that was the best I could get.

Now with the stock tires I am on my 9th tank and I am seeing a 52-53mpg average with only one fluke 48mpg tank due to driving conditions and my stereo equipment.

The temps during my morning commute are in the mid to high 30s and the return commute is usually mid-high 40s with a couple low 50deg days mixed in.

My point in posting this is that I used to scoff at people getting this kind of milage (or higher) in such cold weather but a lot of it comes down to driving technique and tire choice. I do not do any real pulse and glide stuff but by coasting whenever possible and lifting off the gas LONG before a stop sign you can dramatically improve your milage. :)

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Same here. I reset mine this weekend. It is hovering around 53-54 MPG with multiple trips on Sat. My grills are blocked and I have no engine block heater

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    nice F8L...

Not to one up, but I've been holding at 62...even this morning coming home from work (15 miles) it was 15F out and I managed to keep the MPG at 62..same as when I started the car at work and that's with icy roads.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did it take you awhile to get the driving tenchique aspect down as well?

What was your rim/tire combo again? Not the stock setup but the ones you swapped to. I forgot.

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't consider a one up my friend. In fact I see it as a challenge to work harder at attaining those kinds of numbers. :)

I don't have a block heater but I do have the top 2 grille holes covered.

I see a lot of threads from people with "new" cars that are getting "bad" gas milage and I mainly posted this to provide an example of how things can get better with a little work. I used to be one of those people. :)

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the OEM rims/tires on since Oct(?). My 17" rims are in the signature. The tires are Nexen... forgot the model.

7. TimMan

TimMan AC or Bust

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have no such luck w/my mpg, I am averaging about 40-44 mpg in 30-40 F.
    I wish I can get above 50 mpg, but I don't feel that bad since 40 mpg is nothing too sneeze at.
    I am thinking about chaning the tire pressure to 42/40 and maybe changing to synthetic oill - what does everyone think???:confused:

8. TimMan

TimMan AC or Bust

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    FUSCO - what's your secret buddy??

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think my tires are at 56/54 or 58/56 I can't remember now. :)

One of the biggest things you can do is slow down if you are regularly driving above 65mph. I have some back roads on my commute so I slow down to 50mph (55mph speed limit) when there is no one around and if there is a stop sign ahead I lift off the gass and coast for up to 1 mile. Granted this makes the trip slower but it's fun and I save fuel.

When I ride with my friends I really notice how "hot" they come into an intersection. They stay on the gas for waaay too long then have to apply the brakes so hard that you are moved forward in your seat. An efficient stop would not do this. Simply lift well before the next stop and you're milage will shoot up. We were in my roomates 2006 Duramax diesel pickup last night and he was averaging 9.8mpg (the cold and short trips really kills his milage) and after the first 2 miles of driving hard he started driving it like a Prius and his milage started to come back up. Unfortunately he had too many miles on that tank for it to be noticible on the main display. :)

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The higher the tp, the better the mpg which is paid for with a stiffer ride. The Integrities are a little squirrely at 45psi as the idiot light comes on sometimes during braking on dry pavement.

It's cold enough to block the upper & lower grill. A few bucks of pipe insulation should be good for a couple mpg.

Installing an EBH should bring the mpg for the 1st 5 minutes up to the average.

If you are changing the oil every 5000 miles synthetic is a waste. Regular oil isn't dirty this fast (as per many oil change threads).

I keep the climate control off for the 1st 5 or 10 minutes then set the fan manually to the lowest setting & the temp to the low 70's.

You may not be able to improve your mpg but you should be able to keep your average over the winter.

11. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Lately I can't seem to get averages better than 38mpg with temps in the high 50's to low 60's.

12. TimMan

TimMan AC or Bust

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Thanks Jim!!!

13. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My Prius is parked in my driveway, so on very cold mornings the Mobil 1 oil starts to earn it's higher price. Synthetic may or may not give you better mileage, but it will give better protection for cold starts, and will keep your engine sparkling clean and free of sludge. Synthetic is much more fluid on those really cold mornings up north, and gives better lubrication when an engine needs it most.

Harry

14. Rmutzabaugh

Rmutzabaugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    2005 parked in garage has averaged 55 mpg in summer. This summer I did pull small trailer (4x4) with a roof carrier on it to haul camping equipement and got 48 mpg. As with last winter when we got the first cold (30s and lower) in South Central Pa, mpg dropped to 45. Then temp aver 30-40 returned and now average mpg of 53 returned. I too blamed gas. Never gave the heater a thought. I never have blocked the grill. At first I thought 30 was really cold :eek: now that my body has gotten use to cold again 40 is warm and I'm not using heater as much. :cool: Dah.